First Time Pool Owner - How do I clean Sta Rite Posi Clear cartridge filter

May 12, 2015
River Edge, NJ
Hello,

I'm a first time pool owner, and I need lots of help. I know literally nothing about any of this, but I'm learning. I have an above ground pool with in ground plumbing. My filter is a Sta Rite Posi Clear cartridge filter. I hired someone to open my pool two weeks ago and after one week of running they recommended I clean the filter out. I turned off the pump and tried to drain the water in the filter but water just kept on coming out of it. I was told to close the pipe by the pump and on the return, which I did, but water just kept on coming out. I wound up unscrewing the top and removing the filter, then I screwed the top back on to keep the water from overflowing. I hosed off the filter, opened the top back up, put the filter back in, and closed the top. I feel like the water shouldn't have been continuously flowing in when I opened the filter. What am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. Please speak in layman's terms as I am a novice at this whole pool thing.

Attachments

• Pool Filter.jpg
    Pool Filter.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 38
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Is this an above ground pool? Water should not keep draining if the equipment is above the water level.

Also note that we recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure, not based on a schedule.

Sorry about the signature info! I have an above ground pool and the equipment is below the water level.

9K gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Sta Rite Pump and motor, Sta Rite Posi Clear cartridge filter, Hayward automatic chlorine feeder, Hayward H100 100,000 BTU natural gas heater with electronic ignition and analog controls

That is not an uncommon problem with those PVC valves. Some allow you to replace the handle, but they would still be hard to turn.

The best solution would be to use a good pool valve like the Jandy Neverlube.
Or you can try to use another PVC ball valve which should last a little while.

You will have to the existing valve out either way.

Is removing the existing valve and replacing with a new PVC ball valve something I can do on my own? I'm not particularly handy. I've lived in an apartment my entire life with a super who would fix stuff. I am a first time home and pool owner so I'm just now getting my hands dirty.

Working with PVC is actually pretty easy. Watch a few videos and you should be fine. Since the pipe goes in the ground and attaches to the pool, you will have to use a union fitting (like on the existing valve) or add one separately. There are some ball valves that have unions on both sides. If you use those, then you would not have to plumb again and could just replace the center ball valve portion if there were problems in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.