Baquacil conversion advice needed

May 12, 2015
Mason City, IA
Preface:
My wife and I purchased our home last August and the previous owners had used Baquacil for 10+ years. It's a 12,500 gal above ground pool.

Problems:
I started the conversion on Saturday by dumping in 5 gallons of 8.25% bleach, then another 5 gallons Sunday. The water turned a yellowish green color, kind of looks like lemonade. I realized after the fact that I should have lowered my pH first, but did so on Sunday. I tried a few more gallons of bleach, but wasn't getting barely any FC to register with my test kit. I read somewhere you can use trichloro-s-triazinetrione, which I had in my shock, so I used some of that and saw a noticeable jump in FC. I got some cheaper shock from walmart and have been putting in 2-3 bags a day to keep the FC up. The water is still really cloudy. Am I doing something wrong or just haven't given it enough time? Should I have just stuck with the bleach? I've been backwashing the filter a couple of times per day and running the vac once a day. I'm brand new to pools and their chemistry so I could really use some advice! Thanks in advance.

I'd like to start off by welcoming you to TFP! We hope you enjoy your stay here.

For starters my first concern is that I don't see any signs you have one of the suggested Test Kits. Trying to complete a Baqua conversion without a proper FAS/DPD kit is a pain on a good day. The investment will clearly pay off in the long run.

As for your questions. It sounds like you are working on the conversion without a set plan. I would start off suggesting you read the Baquacil Conversion article in Pool School as it likely would address many of your questions. I would suggest adjusting your pH level to 7.2 to 7.4 asap, then don't worry about it until the conversion is complete. From there use liquid chlorine only during the conversion and maintain a 15ppm FC level. The more you can raise your chlorine level up to 15 the faster the conversion will go. It will likely use a good bit of bleach, but in the long run will be much cheaper than either using Baquacil or trying to convert using other forums of chlorine.

Lastly, in addition to backflushing and vacuuming I would suggest you brush the pool down as much as possible. The more you brush during the conversion the more you are able to help break down the BaquaGoo. At least once a day is suggested......I'd try more personally.

Thanks for the info! I started with this kit, http://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-22...=1431447665&sr=8-4&keywords=chlorine+test+kit

I did get the pH in the 7.2-7.4 range on Sunday and it seems to be staying there. I guess I'll go and buy a whole lot more bleach! I read that article and did the math to get my pool to 15ppm FC, but my test kit only goes to 5ppm, so I wasn't sure where I was at once it was around 5.

Is there a recommended brush for the sides? The previous owners left a soft sponge on a handle, but I'm sure there's something better.

I read that article and did the math to get my pool to 15ppm FC, but my test kit only goes to 5ppm, so I wasn't sure where I was at once it was around 5.

That's why you need a FAS/DPD kit which measures FC up to 50ppm.

Just go with a standard nylon pool brush you can get at a local pool store, online or even at Walmart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.