pump cover necessary for Pentair Intelliflo?

Jun 11, 2012
So I just upgraded to a new intelliflo, (its awesome btw) and I'm wondering if I need to have a "cover" for the pump itself. The installer said the real killer of pumps is heat, and sun. My pump gets a fair amount of sun and is close to the brick which i'm sure radiates a ton of heat as well in the summer. Is it necessary to cover it? Will that just increase the heat if its covered?

Here's a cover I found.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

The primary failure mode for a VS pump is first and foremost a power surge so I hope you installed a surge protector with the VS. The second type of failure that affects all pumps is a seal leak. Most people ignore a small leak but what happens is the bearings get wet and start to rust and then it isn't long before the bearings fail.

As for heat, that could affect the drive over time but a cover like that seems as though it would trap heat from the drive itself. I think a better solution would be a shade awning or sail over all the equipment.

Please update your location in your profile.

Not sure where you are, but it is plenty hot here. Not at the moment unfortunately. :) My pump has run nearly 24x7 for 3 years. Mostly at 1100rpm to skim the massive amounts of stuff all our trees throw in the pool and sometimes at 1950 rpm to run my solar panels. No cover and so far so good!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.