Waiting on Testing Kit

May 12, 2015
La Grange, KY
I've ordered my test kit (Taylor K-2006), but it won't be here until Friday, 5-15. I took the cover off the pool on Sunday, 5-10, to begin filling, as the previous owner said it would take 10-15 hours to fill back to just above halfway up the skimmer. I should be complete filling the pool either today or tomorrow, so my question is...is there anything I can do/should be doing in the meantime while I wait on my test kit?

I plan on running the pump/filter and cleaning/vacuuming the pool, but aside from that, what can I do? I'm afraid of the FC getting too low and algae beginning to grow since the cover will have been off nearly a week with no additional chemicals.

Thanks,

You can fairly safely add in some chlorine, say 1 gallon of bleach, also you could pick up a cheap $10 or so OTO/pH test kit and start getting your pH in line. If you get the OTO chlorine test, just keep it so some chlorine shows on the kit. It will at least slow algae growth down, it is hard to say if it is enough though without the CYA test in the K-2006.

The basic OTO/pH drop based test kit can be found at most big box stores that sell pool supplies

Update: I did the CYA test, so all numbers are below. Next steps are to get PH down to 7.2 then SLAM?

OK, so I've received my kit and below are my numbers. Note, the kit was delivered with 3 bottles of CYA reagent instead of two and a mixing bottle. So I need to figure out how to do this test properly.

FC: 1
CC: 2.8
PH: 7.6
TA: 100
CH: 220
CYA: <30. The black dot disappeared just before the vial was filled to top, so guessing just below 30

I'll edit this once I get the CYA number as I realize that's critical to the SLAM. I assume that once I determine the CYA I'll need to SLAM to get CC down to 0, correct?

Bring your PH down to 7.2 first. Then SLAM once you know your CYA.
To complete a SLAM is a process.
To pass a SLAM you must
1. Pass a OLCT with a loss of 1ppm or less overnight
2. CC of .5 or less
3. Crystal Clear water

- - - Updated - - -

Your CC will drop during your SLAM, yes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.