Reduce Very High Chlorine

Jul 11, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I had a solar pool cover on the last four weeks and inadvertently kept the SWG running at 60%. I am ready to swim and tested yesterday and the FC is very high. I decided to go to Leslie's to get second opinion on the free chlorine. The free chlorine is very high at 25 and I need to get it down because we have a pool party on Thursday. I have the SWG turned off so it is not producing any chlorine. I don't think the FC will reduce all the way to 4.0 by Thursday by itself. I would like to chemically fix the high free chlorine.

Leslie's wanted me to buy their Chlorine reducer but after being part of this forum I balk and doubt whatever they tell me. What is the best/quickest way to reduce the free chlorine? The pool calculator does not tell me what and how much to use. Does anybody know how much I should use and are there any adverse effects I need to plan for?

FC = 24
PH = 7.5
TA = 80
CYA = 70

At this point just let the FC drift down on it's own. At FC of 24, you are below the recommended shock (safe to swim up to) level of 28 for your CYA of 70. Additionally, the higher FC will be brought down further by the bather load during your party.

Sounds like you should sit back and enjoy the party.

Thanks Richard - I should have just waited for the expert! :)

At this point just let the FC drift down on it's own. At FC of 24, you are below the recommended shock (safe to swim up to) level of 28 for your CYA of 70. Additionally, the higher FC will be brought down further by the bather load during your party.

Sounds like you should sit back and enjoy the party.

Thanks Richard - I should have just waited for the expert! :)
Nope, not at all. You were probably typing when my reply went up. It's going to get crazy here really soon, and the number of new threads every day will be so mind-boggling that us "experts" won't be able to keep up. We need your help. You came up with the same answer as me, that shows you understand. Don't wait for us, jump in!

I don't think the FC will reduce all the way to 4.0 by Thursday by itself. I would like to chemically fix the high free chlorine.

CYA = 70
I agree with everyone else about just letting it drift down, but your comment I cut out concerns me. With CYA 70 in SWG pool 3 is your absolute minimum. Planning a pool party to start with 4ppm may be flirting with disaster. A normal target for your CYA level is 5 and with a pool party I might even want it up around 8 or 9.

In your nice Hot-lanta weather it should drift down fine.

Thats an interesting point, when having a big party, do people pre-load with a bit more chlorine than they need in general? is that recommended? it makes sense.

Thats an interesting point, when having a big party, do people pre-load with a bit more chlorine than they need in general? is that recommended? it makes sense.

Before a party, I definitely up the FC. My kids know the NO PEE IN THE POOL policy, but other kids and adults consuming adult beverages sometimes do not. My minimum FC is usually 3 depending on time of year, current CYA. Target is 5. I'll bump it up to 6-8 maybe even 10 before a party, depending on expected guests and my "ability" to test the pool after the party.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.