Can you use condensate from the air conditioner to keep the pool topped off?

Chuckiechan

Jun 10, 2014
Roseville, CA
Here in California we have a drought.

I notice that my air conditioner drain line puts out a lot of water per day ~ 3 - 5 gallons maybe?

I can easily run a 1/2" drip irrigation line from where it drips into a pan, and route that to the pool.

Is this practical, or not worth the effort. I have no idea how much water my pool looses per day due to evaporation in the summer with solar water panels and 88% water.

Summer humidity in the 50's. My house is central air, 2000 sf.

It's basically distilled water, isn't it?

We'd better keep this kind of quiet, or California will tax it! LOL

I think it would work fine, not sure how much water you would really get from it, probably 1 to 3 gallons a day would be better than nothing... You might try putting a bucket under it and see how much you get in an hour to see if its worth running a line...

FWIW My father in law showed me an article talking about how bad it was to plumb them into the septic, but I couldn't find it. I think it killed the organisms that help break down the waste. My bigger concern would be when it is serviced the cleaner getting into the pool.

I think that the water will be acidic, so test first. The reason that I think this is that at work, our AC unit is not close to a drain and has a condensation pump with a long clear vinyl tube that takes it about 100 feet over to a drain. THe tubing turns a very odd brown yellow color and the HVAC guy said it had to so with an acidic reaction from the water. Not sure if true (because I like you thought it would be just DI water), but you should look into it anyway

You could have 10 home AC units going into your pool and it would not cause any harm. Not with the water condensed from atmosphere. As for service chemicals... I have no idea what's used. As for the condensate, It will be good for your pool, but sadly, with one home unit running, you'll never see it add to your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably true... I notice the dog doesn't drink it. So if it's not good enough for her, I'll pass! Not worth the trouble at this point. But I will test is just for the heck of it, and may do it in July when it is the most humid and hottest.

Here in Bakersfield I lose at least 1/4" per day during the summer. Your loss will likely be less as it's a good bit cooler in Roseville, however I suspect your condensate production would be miniscule compared to your evaporation loss.

Okay, I live in southern Alabama. It is humid as ever here and I generate at least a gallon of condensate an hour. Especially during the day. I found this article concerning condensate safety: http://www.environmentalleader.com/2013/01/15/air-conditioning-condensate-recovery/.

Now based on what I'm reading here, this is a safe practice and at least in my location where humidity is extremely high year-round, this is a very viable way of recycling this resource. I like that someone said to keep it quiet because the state will figure out a way to tax it. :splash:

I am going to be working on running my condensate to a skimmer. My pool is saltwater with ozone, so I think this will be perfect. Oh, and I also treat my condensate system with bleach once a month too.

Tom

It's perfectly fine to use the condensation, if it's treated and filtered. It would be very heavily acidic if the drain line were also being used by a high efficiency condensing gas furnace.
Otherwise it is simply humidity from the indoor air. So, if it's safe to breath in your home, it's safe to use the water from your condensate line used for AC only.
Its likely still acidic, and full of bacteria, but not enough to harm anything.

The comment about the evaporator cleaner... Typically sodium hydroxide is used which is extremely alkaline.
Acid cleaner is ONLY to be used on outdoor coils if necessary.

FWIW My father in law showed me an article talking about how bad it was to plumb them into the septic, but I couldn't find it. I think it killed the organisms that help break down the waste. My bigger concern would be when it is serviced the cleaner getting into the pool.

+1...it's typically just condensate. But when things break down and get serviced, there's no telling what oils or cleaners can get flushed down that pipe. Don't do it.

I have been collecting water of this way for about a year. I get between three and 7 gallons per day with two condensing units and a large home living in Florida. We use the water regularly to fill a fountain and for the garden.
Sure it is not a lot of water but it is nice to conserve what we can and reuse it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.