Help replacing broken sight glass

May 7, 2010
Dallas, TX
My sight glass broke and now i can't backwash, which is an issue here in Dallas with all this rain and my pool doesn't have a overfill prevention drain built into the wall anywhere.

The screw is still there, but I cant get it out. it just spins and spins. Any ideas on that? Also below is the link to the parts diagram i believe is my part. Anyone familiar with this know exactly what parts i need? IF i get the screw out do i just need 13 and 12 or do i need 12, 13 and 14??

http://www.poolcenter.com/p/50181211-1-1-2-backwash-valve

fzdMKhJ.jpg

QbDAyTI.jpg

If it were me I would get 12, 13 & 14. 12 & 13 because you need them and 14 because you will probably mess it up a little getting it out.

What scares me is then it appears that the bolt is threaded into the plastic housing and if that is the case and it is spinning the plastic may be stripped. The other thought I had was that somewhere behind the plastic it goes into is a nut that is normally "captured" by parts of the plastic and when the sight glass broke it pushed in a little, thus taking the nut out of the capture notch and allowing it to spin. I would gently pull on that bolt while wiggling/spinning it to see if a nut at the back pops into a spot to secure it. My next choice would be to use a pair of needle nose pliers and gently pull out from behind the head of that bolt while you try to unscrew it. My fear with that is that thee is a nut that once you get it off the bolt will drop down to where you will never see it again.

It sounds like the plastic piece the screw goes into is stripped out. If you can get it out, and the hole through the site glass is big enough, you may be able to get a slightly larger screw to thread in there. That doesn't seem like a very good design, and you may end up having to replace the multiport valve. If the hole in the glass isn't big enough, and you don't want to replace the whole valve, you may be able to find a washer that will fit in that hole with the bigger screw to block the hole. That would leave you without a site glass though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

without taking it apart?
I was thinking yes, but it does appear from the exploded diagram that if you totally disassemble the valve you can get behind it. If you go the dis-assembly route go ahead and order parts 10 & 11 also and change them while you have it apart. You will want a small tube of "O" ring lube also for assembly.

I'll give it a shot when the parts come in. or i may have to try the washer route for now to be able to backwash out all the excess water. we are expecting more rain everyday this week and my water is turning green! Or i guess i could always try and siphon some off

I would think if there is a nut back there it would show up in the exploded view. It is possible that there is a captured one in there but, I doubt it. Troubling thing I see is there is no part number listed for that valve body so you can not replace that if needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would think if there is a nut back there it would show up in the exploded view. It is possible that there is a captured one in there but, I doubt it. Troubling thing I see is there is no part number listed for that valve body so you can not replace that if needed.
Yea, I'm afraid they feel that if part of the body is bad to replace the entire thing

Way late update. Got it apart and there is no nut. But spider gasket appears to be missing a section (10 o'clock in the picture) so replacing that. Anyway to be 100% sure the pictures valve is the one in my link. I don't have any documentation from the previous owners.
ac96818e49e3c4f988579693ea742036.jpg

I would not glue that gasket. Install it and make sure the handle is ALWAYS rotated the same direction (clockwise or counterclockwise...one or the other but not both) You should have no problem.

Have you tried placing the handle in the "waste" position and removing water from the pool?

I haven't tried that, and i will, but it seems like the only pipe that comes from the filter goes past the sightglass hole to the pipe labeled backwash and into the ground. my new gasket coms today so i will get started once it does and let you know. thanks for the help!

Back in business. Got the gasket but still had issues. Ended up replacing the spring and metal and plastic washers. That did the trick.

Was able to get the score out of the sight glass hole. Think I'm going to have to go with a bigger screw washer and nut to cover the hole. Thanks to all for the help!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.