First time cleaning Pentair Cartridge filter - pressure relief

John55

Apr 13, 2015
Bay Area, California
Just opened and cleaned out the filter for the first time by myself!

When restarting I forgot to use the pressure relief valve to blow out the air and get the steady stream of water coming out of the filter relief valve per the manual. The pipes rattled for 15 secs and then settled, filter sound okay but a little noisier than before cleaning and Psi reads at about 20 psi. I'm guessing the sudden rattle was air flowing through while the filter refilled. Is this normal? Should I open the relief valve while the filter is running ASAP? Or I'm okay?

The flow rate feels really strong in the pool..pushed my hand strongly from the out take/return.

Thanks folks,

John

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Likely it was just the air making its way through the pipes. You should be fine, although you should still open the valve and make sure the air is all out. I pop mine open just about every week just to make sure there is no air building up.

same here.. I open mine occasionally too.

is 20 psi what your filter runs at? Or did you mention it because its higher than what you normally see?
If its higher than normal, then it might just be stuck. It happens often. Just thump it with your finger and if it drops, it just got stuck.

Wow. Fast replies!

Okay, went and opened and gases out the filter this morning. Just a squirt of air and then water flow, so it looks like it's okay as y'all suspected! Filter sounds normal and the psi is running at 15 which looks to be about right...prior to the clean it was running at 30 psi.

Good deal all!

Hey one last thing do you folks keep a spare o-ring for the filter around for the just in case or does the o-ring last a good time before requiring changing? I put silicone grease/plumbers grease I got from ace hardware on it FYI.

I do not have a spare o-ring. In fact I think they might be discontinued for my filter.

FYI, you should clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. With stating at 15psi, you should clean by 19psi.

Depends on how big your filter is and how dirty your pool is. If sized to our recommendations, you may only need to clean yearly.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.