Hayward vs Pentair SWG which one?

Hello I have a 18x36 vinyl liner pool. We are getting a new liner tomorrow. My thought is to get a SWG in the next couple of weeks to cut down on the maintenance. I am leaning towards either the Hayward Aqua Rite 15 or the Pentair IC40. What are the pro's and cons. The IC40 appears to be a little more forgiving for plumbing space. I am limited for space and will install the SWG where my Hayward Chlorine feeder is located today. I only have around 20" of a straight pipe run to work with. There is a 90 on one end coming down from the sand filter and I have a 90 on the other end that turns down into my slab headed out to the returns. Is there a big quality difference between the two. I plan to buy off the internet and install myself. I am open to other options if they make more sense. Thanks in advance!!

I have a Hayward system. I have had it for ten years now and am very pleased with it. I had to replace the T-15 cell after 7+ years of use, at a cost of $398. That makes my chlorine costs less than $57 per year for a 20k pool. Among the advantages of the Hayward are full control of the output settings in one percent increments, and a display that actually provides some useful diagnostic information. Also, there are many, many users here on the forum, so expert advise is readily available. About the only problem anyone seems to have (other than routine cell replacement at 5-10 years) is a input resister that can be had online for a couple dollars and easily replaced. But after ten years of use, a $2.50 part and a little time with a soldering iron to put everything right again is really no big deal.

Hayward (Goldline) is the only system I have used, so I'll let others tell you about the IC40.

The Pentair has limited chlorine output control if you do not have the Pentair automation system. Additionally, the replacement cells are more expensive due to the electronics in the cells. The one plus is that they are more forgiving on high salt levels I think.

I have had Haywards at both of my houses with pools.

Yes, the Pentair will continue to produce chlorine in high salt conditions and not require a partial drain to dilute salt. Mine has been great for 3 years. Either one will work great and do what you need. It is just brand and automation preference.

Thanks everyone. one more question. Does anyone have the dimensions of the Aqua rite cell and flow switch? I need this confirm if I can fit it into my straight run between the filter and the 90 turning down into the concrete slab. There seems to be no documentation on the web.

If you remove the chlorinator, there should be plenty of room to put the Hayward cell near the filter end and the flow sensor after the cell. I do not have dimensions, but could measure tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The T-15 cell including the couplings is 15.5 inches long. You also need to install a flow switch. If space is tight you can do what my neighbor did and install the cell in a vertical orientation then plumb back down to connect to existing. To get all the measurements and installation instructions you should be able to find the manual online.

Thanks! ... the flow switch is a standard Tee, so you can measure that yourself.

Sure looks like there should be plenty of room, but might be close. Looping up and back down would certainly work.

I have a total of 19" of vertical run before the run 90's to the slab.

Do you guys think I could install the flow switch "F/s" ahead of the cell on the vertical down pipe coming out of the filter. In this configuration I have close to 12" straight vertical upstream of the F/s but at the F/s output it would turn a sharp 90 and head to the vertical run for the T Cell? This also has a T going to my Polaris that would be ahead of the F/s.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.