Spa operating cost

Feb 10, 2008
Gilbert AZ
I was trying to determine what it costs to operate my hot tub. It's 250 gallons / 120 volt and very well insulated. Currently it runs twice a day for 2 hours each cycle. I've been searching the internet for some average operating costs but couldn't find anything. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks

meatloaf said:
I was trying to determine what it costs to operate my hot tub. It's 250 gallons / 120 volt and very well insulated. Currently it runs twice a day for 2 hours each cycle. I've been searching the internet for some average operating costs but couldn't find anything. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks

It really depends on the usage. Your heater is what will draw the most electricity regularly (10 amps or so), so if you were to leave it covered all the time it would cost much less than if you used it nightly.

Assuming it had to heat constantly for the 4 hours you ran it, you're looking at a maximum of 20 amps (2.4kW @ 120v). Now find your kWh rate. Let's say $.10. So you're looking at $.24 per hour, times 4 hours a day. Roughly $1 per day. So at most you're looking at $30/month. In reality, I'd be surprised if you used half that since your filter/heating cycle probably draws more like 12-17 amps and the heater won't be running that whole time. But again, depends on use, climate, etc.

This is also assuming that the heater is only on during your filtration cycle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.