Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to add Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

When to add Borates

So, I have decided I would like to try borates in my pool. I still have a realtively new plaster pool (about 5 weeks old now). Is it too soon to add borates? My PH still seems to be rising from the plaster curing, will the borates help buffer this as well?

Here are my current test numbers:

ph 8.0 (Just Added MA per pool calculator to lower this)
    FC 1.5
    CC 0
    TC 1.5
    TA 75
    CH 110
    CYA 20
    18K Gallon In Ground Gunite Pool, Quartz/Plaster Finish, 8' Spa with Spillover, 1 Grotto/Waterfall, Hayward/Goldline PS8 controller, 1.5 HP Two Speed Pump, 1HP Booster Pump for Grotto/Waterfall, Cartridge Filter,400K BTU Nat Gas Heater, Ozonator,3 Multi-Color LED Lights (Spa, Grotto, Pool).

Ozonator is not functioing, evaluating my options, either fix it or get a new one or drop it completely.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to add Borates

Five weeks should be fine. Yes, you can go ahead and add borates now.

Yes, borates will help buffer the PH rise from curing plaster. You will still need to use just as much acid, but you won't need to add acid as frequently as before.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School