Raleigh, NC Green Pool (May 2015)

tide06

May 19, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Hi All,

I live in Raleigh, NC and this is my 2nd year maintaining my in-ground 25k gallon sand filtered pool.

Was able to get it looking very good last year after a month of struggles and it was in great shape when I opened it this spring.

However, I made the mistake of using an algaecide (yellow out) prior to leaving for three days while away on business. Turns out this product, while it can be effective eats away chlorine and so when I returned the pool was a solid green.

I thought others might be able to learn from my mistake and be able to see what works and what doesn't in terms of bringing it back to clear.

I use a TF-100 kit to test and will be posting numbers and pictures daily so you can track progress.

Here is where my numbers were as of this Sunday, May 10th:
TC: 5+
PH: <6.8 (wonder if the Yellow Out lowered it or if the rain we had Saturday and Sunday dropped it?)
CYA: 35
TA: 20
FC: 7.5

Visibility:
Shallow End Floor: 0%
Middle Pool Floor: 0%
Deep End Floor: 0%

Actions:
-Skim
-Brush
-Vacuum
-Backwash (prior to adding chemicals)

Additions:
+40oz of PH Up (Pooltime Brand)
+5lb Cal Hypo Shock (HTH Brand)

20150510pool.jpg.html

Update for Monday, May 11th:

Definitely seeing the cloudy gray "bleach" effect start to happen even with the hot sunny weather. Shallow end went from solid swamp to light gray with dead algae that looked like dirt on the bottom, not sure if its mustard or green algae but trying to get the FC to mustard shock level either way.

Weather:
92/Sunny

Updated Numbers:
TC: 5+
PH: 7.2
CYA: 40
CC: 0
FC: 17

Visibility:
Shallow End Floor: 70%

Actions:
-Skimmed
-Brushed
-Vacuum (Shallow Only)

Additions:
+15oz of PH Up (Pooltime Brand)
+1 Gal 12.5% bleach (will be using liquid from here on out)

20150511pool.jpg

From your numbers it looks like you are using the OTO chlorine test and the FAS/DPD test. (Because you're reporting a TC of 5+?) For the SLAM there's no need to use the OTO since it can't measure high enough to tell you how much chlorine to add. You just use FAS/DPD to tell your FC and your CC.

Or am I reading your results wrong?

From your numbers it looks like you are using the OTO chlorine test and the FAS/DPD test. (Because you're reporting a TC of 5+?) For the SLAM there's no need to use the OTO since it can't measure high enough to tell you how much chlorine to add. You just use FAS/DPD to tell your FC and your CC.

Or am I reading your results wrong?

Nope you are correct, was just grabbing it because I had to run the PH test because I was very low. If TC ends up <5 for any extended period of time it'll be August before I can get in the water haha.

Speaking of PH, whats the consensus? Is it even worth it to begin slamming when you are <6.8 or better to save the chemicals until that number is 7.2-7.5 and go full out at that point?

Update for Tuesday, May 12th 2015

Biggest improvement to date! Only green left is in the deep end, rest is a gray/blue.

With the FC dropping from 17 to 15.5 even after adding a gallon of liquid chlorine yesterday I decided to add two more bottles this evening. Also had a drop in PH which was strange, so went with the PH up to try to get back into range.

Weather:
92/Sunny

Updated Numbers:
PH: 7.0
FC: 15.5

Visibility (can see to bottom):
Shallow End Floor: 100%
Middle Pool Floor: 10%

Actions:
-Skimmed
-Brushed
-Backwash Filter

Additions:
+20oz of PH Up (Pooltime Brand)
+2 Gal 8.28% bleach

20150512_184549.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update for Wednesday, May 13th:

Not much progress today so I've gone nuclear in order to get the FC levels to mustard shock levels. My intention is to use the powder shock to get to 24+ FC then will maintain with liquid chlorine/bleach.

Added some pictures of the algae I'm battling, any thoughts as to whether its mustard algae?

Weather:
83/Sunny

Updated Numbers:
FC: 15.5

Visibility:

Actions:
-Skimmed
-Brushed
-Vacuum (whole pool)
-Backwash/Waste

Additions:
+32oz of PH Up (Pooltime Brand)
+4 Gal 8.25% bleach
+3lb of Cal Hypo shock

20150513_183105.jpg

20150513_183052.jpg

Day 5 Update (Thursday, May 14th)

FC Disaster struck today for unknown reasons. Went to measure the chlorine levels and determined that the level of available FC had dropped to 0!

Still cant get to a consistent PH level so I've added Borax and will check progress again.

No pictures today as I had to run to the store before it closed to pickup the high potency liquid chlorine to get back to shock levels.

Weather:
72/Partly Cloudy

Updated Numbers:
FC: 0

Visibility:
Middle Pool Floor: 20%
Overall water is still not clear, but more and more of the pool floor is becoming visible as I continue to vacuum.

Actions:
-Skimmed
-Vacuum (whole pool)
-Backwash/Waste

Additions:
+16oz of Borax
+6 Gal 12% liquid chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.