New pool owner, chemistry questions

cab66

May 8, 2015
Middleton, TN
Just purchase a 27' 52" AG vinyl pool and I have added two 1lb bags of Dichlor 57% with 35% available chlorine. I added that because it came with my pool and was aware that it could raise my cya very quickly. My FC=1, pH=7.8(maybe a little higher), TA=150, and my cya is 0. I have checked the cya two times using my new TF-100 kit and it has yet to even cloud up even a little. Just seeking some advice going forward. Planning on using bleach to maintain my CL level, but was trying to establish a cya level before I started.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!

Check out PoolMath. Set your pool volume at the top and at the bottom you can enter 32oz of Dichlor and see that it would have added 6.5ppm of CYA ... that is why it is not showing up on the test.

- - - Updated - - -

So, you need to add more CYA and more FC. Easiest to track if you use the separate chemicals.

Fill water has no CYA and you only added 6.5ppm with the Dichlor which would show up quickly. Only the granule CYA might take up to a week to dissolve and show up on the test.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like I may use the rest of the free dichlor since it will increase cya, raise fc, and lower my ph. Does that sound like a reasonable course of action. If after the free stuff is gone I am planning on using the chemicals recommended here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.