Help! What is in my pool?

April

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2014
KY
I have been slamming my pool for several days because I thought I had yellow algae....

The weather got usually warm for this time of year here in Kentucky and I hadn't opened my pool yet. So about 3 weeks ago I uncovered my pool and it had small patches of green globs everywhere. I emptied 3/4 of the pool and refilled then slammed it. After the 1st slamming was done I noticed brown particles on the floor of the pool. The pool was crystal clear except for the light brown dust/dirt on the bottom and I have very small particles floating on the top of the pool covering the surface. I vacuumed on backwash, refilled the pool to the proper level, and started the pump.

Serval weeks went by and then I noticed I had more light brown particles on the floor of the pool. I live really close to a main road so I thought it was just dirt. I vacuumed the pool again on backwash and refilled to proper level. At this time I noticed when I put my pump on backwash it leaks around the top of the sand filter. An hour later I go out and notice the bottom of the pool has the light brown dust/dirt again so I'm thinking I have another algae problem.

I start another slam process at higher chlorine levels. I was checking my FC levels every 1 to 2 hours for 4 days, I brushed the pool every 4 hours (sometimes more), vacuumed every day on backwash, and refilled to proper level. I also ran pump 24 hours a day.

After performing the OLCT test and not losing anything overnight and still having the problem with the brown dust/dirt and the particles all over the top I started thinking it was something else like pollen. I figured I was ready to get very thing else balanced.

Went out this afternoon to vacuum the remaining brown dust off the floor of the pool with the pump on backwash, took my time got everything nice and clean, ran the water past the intake so I had to turn off the pump and refill the pool to the proper level. It took about an hour to fill the pool up to the fill line and when I went back out I looked at the bottom of the pool and it was crystal clear except for the fine particles floating on the surface(I think is pollen). I put a sock on my basket, put it back in the skimmer, and turned on the pump.

Checked the basket/sock about 20 minutes later and had a bunch of light brown particles on the white skimmer sock. Looked at the bottom of the pool brown stuff all over it again.

I picked some of the brown substance off the sock and noticed it had no slime feel to it at all and it doesn't feel like sand. I'm going to try and post a picture. I would appreciate any help to figure out what this is.

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That is really hard to read with lack of paragraphs ... admittedly I did not try very hard :D

What test kit are you using?
Can you please post up a full set of test results?

The fact that you are seeing the particles on the top does point to external debris like pollen.

So sorry... I just started typing and didn't think..

Monday @ 2:17pm w/ TF100

FC- 12
CC- .5
TA- 70
PH- 7.2
CYA- 30 ( probably lower since all the water replacement)

Now I'm feeling really stupid!:hammer:

Yes it's all over the windows.

Didn't realize it could get that bad in the pool. My filter must not be cleaning it out.

I have one more question...

Took the pool steps out of the pool before I slammed both times. If I bleach and scrub them can algae still live on it?

Or if I go to put them back in the pool with I get another algae outbreak?

Now I'm feeling really stupid!:hammer:

Yes it's all over the windows.

Didn't realize it could get that bad in the pool. My filter must not be cleaning it out.

I have one more question...

Took the pool steps out of the pool before I slammed both times. If I bleach and scrub them can algae still live on it?

Or if I go to put them back in the pool with I get another algae outbreak?
Drop the steps in while the FC is still at shock level and let them soak. Scrubbing them off first was a good move. Also soak pool covers, toys, and pool tools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Scrubbed the steps with bleach and pressure washed them today.

Put them back into the pool and took FC level to 25. I want to make sure everything dies that was on them.

The pollen is horrible! I have changed my skimmer sock 5 times today.:mad:

Can the pollen be eating some of my chlorine?

I seem to be losing a lot. Sun is on the pool all day, so maybe it's normal??!

7:00 am FC-27
3:00pm FC-13

Good to know.

I think I'll keep my FC a little high for the next 2 days since I just put the steps in.

Then I should be ready to add my borates and get my sparkle back!:cool:

Thanks Richard!

This may sound completely ridiculous but have you had any old pool floats or toys that were possibly dry rotted? Even from last year? I only ask because I had a very similar issue that I finally discovered was remnants of a pool noodle. My kids are usually responsible for cleaning up the toys so I rarely touched it. But I picked it up one day and got the oh so familiar grit on my hands that I'd been seeing in my skimmer basket for a week. The stuff seemed to multiply and I thought I'd never get it all out of my pool!

It's a long shot but just thought I'd mention it. Good luck!

Thank you for the input.:p

I alway put all floats and pool gear in my deck box during closing. After Richard had suggested looking for pollen on my car,deck, patio furniture, and windows I realized it was all covered pretty heavily. We always have really bad pollen/allergies here in Kentucky during the spring, but I have never seen it this bad.:eek:

My husband had built me some solar heaters the first year we put in the pool. They are above the pool on my privacy fence. The winter was really bad this year and wet. So they have rotted out some and I noticed there were a couple prices of wood that had went in the pool. That was before I slammed it the first time. I had it sparkling for a couple of weeks until now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.