My first slam, need advice.

mbuice

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2014
Denton, TX
Well, after a year on TFP and a previous summer with my starter pool, I thought I was ready and wouldn't need to slam for a while. Three straight days of storms and mountain of leaves later, my pool has taken on a green tint.

I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

For everyone on a mobile device, such as myself (storms knocked out cable and internet) I have an 18x34 agp with a 7ft deep end. I also have a TFP test kit.

It looked worse last night, but another round of storms was moving in, so I just dumped the skimmer, added my bleach, and ran for the house.
This is from this morning:
27b50aaff3a4a6145d218daccfe4831f.jpg

d3935383289319bfa0e5698972c5c3f5.jpg

e71314ab2b5c48e900d1f77863f714e1.jpg

Pardon the mud, we're in between the build phase and the deck phase, and it keeps raining!
Anyway, I tested last night and of course chlorine was at 0. My CYA was 55 the last time I checked, but that was before our unseasonable monsoon hit. I put 121 oz of 8.25% bleach in, which was all I had.

This morning I tested again, back to 0, added 121 oz more bleach and headed to work. At lunch I made my first trip to Leslie's ever to buy a leaf rake.
It was sunny all day, and I got home to this:
9315fb5d0eaac8cbcf9c252811d313a6.jpg

5a411b07ea60e24037145fd30a78e73d.jpg

Tested again, chlorine at 0, PH is 7.5, CYA is 40. Swept the pool, and then I pulled out as many leaves as I could.
Added 242 oz of bleach, and I will test again in a couple of hours.

After all of that, my first question is: the water doesn't look as bad as what I've seen on here, do I need to shoot for the full slam level?

Yes you need to be at shock level and keep it there as best you can by testing as often as you can. Your shock level FC is 16. The longer your FC stays at shock level the quicker it will clear. I understand life gets in the way so just do the best you can.
Get as much debris out of the pool as you can.

Here is the SLAM Process. Give it a good read as it needs to followed to the T.
Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask.

Vacuum to waste, refill it (if it needs any more water), check pH and CYA, and start the SLAM. If you hit it first thing in the morning, as soon as you get home, and again at bedtime, you could well be done before the weekend. Hint: turning the filter to recirculate while you're gone or asleep will keep it from clogging. The stuff will still need to be vacuumed or filtered out, but at least you'll be around to monitor the pressure.

Thanks! Went to the store to stock up on bleach.
I backwashed earlier and the water level is just barely under the top lip of the skimmer, it could definitely stand to lose another inch or two.

I also checked the forcast, and it's calling for more severe weather tomorrow.
Hopefully I can get some work done in the morning before it gets here.

Slamming is going well, I think, it's definitely not taking as much bleach to keep my FC at or above 16, and now it's taken on a cloudy appearance:
caa86263115ddd82e1fa4e849185c806.jpg

Which means I'm vacuuming blind, but that's ok.

Here's my next, hopefully not dumb, question:
I know the pump is supposed to be running 24/7, but if you have a 2 speed pump, should it be on high or low?

Thanks for the quick reply, and the reassurance.

I know I need to check the pressure, which doesn't register if I'm running the pump on low, don't know if that's normal or not. I do switch it to high for about 30 minutes after each time I add bleach. It typically reads 10 psi, so I do backwash whenever it hits 12 or 13.

Another question, this one about vacuuming. Is there some sort of adapter I can use with my manual vacuum to get it to seal better in the skimmer? I'm constantly having to go back and get the hose in position, or have my grumbly teenager hold it in place.

low is definitely fine. Preferred even. No need to run on high after adding bleach, unless you want to.

Yes it is normal to have low or no pressure on low. Check pressure on high speed after you clean and then turn it to high to check periodically, clean when it rises 20-25% from clean pressure. Yes, 12-13ish.

Don't know about the vacuum. Grumbly teenagers are questionable at best. :) Want some more???

Funny you would ask, we're in the process of becoming foster parents to one of my students which would in fact add another teenager to the house!
I also have to run the pump on high for a little bit each day so that we can keep up with the blasted leaves! As soon as the mud clears up, at least 2 of those trees are coming down.

I hear you, I suffer greatly from the leaf affliction. But, also enjoy the shade. To chainsaw or not to chainsaw ...

I guess I'll keep mine, you are making enough contribution to the world. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I spent about an hour cleaning out my skimmer basket and "raking" leaves out of the bottom/skimming them off the top.
There are days that the basket will be nearly empty with nothing floating on top, and days when I have to clean out a packed skimmer twice a day, and it's nowhere near Fall, grr!

I'm thinking that the two trees right beside the pool are either going to become firewood for the pit I'm planning to build, or they're going to get a serious haircut. That will still leave two good sized shade trees in the corner.

SLAM still going well, here is a picture from yesterday:
fe71224321caf4cc967e2a8456631138.jpg

And one from this morning:
2b94108f1c60feece5ba709d2de48a3c.jpg

Makes it easier to see the leaves collecting on the bottom and scoop them up!

I tested last night before going to bed and fc was 17, added 1 gal bleach per pool math to get it to 20 for overnight, tested this morning and fc was 21? I'll take it!

Tested 5 times yesterday and added bleach when needed, numbers never fell below 16.

7:30 this morning tested, fc=14, quickly added bleach and left for work.
Went home at lunch, fc=17, swept quickly what I could, and headed back to work. Water is definitely clearing up, and we can't wait to jump in.
Definitely need to vacuum, but I won't get home until dark. Maybe grumbly teenager number 1 will take the initiative, hmm.
Here is a pic from lunch:
64f7f648395f9423f2dfa41f68555019.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.