Thanks Ike

fofa

Sep 27, 2008
Houston, TX
Came back last Monday the 21st to no power, and a totally green pool.
Lots of debris in the pool (I could see from pictures a friend who took some pictures Wed. the 16th sent, it was still clear then). But I could not see it because of the green. Tried to remove some of the debris "by feel", got a wheelbarrow load, but was not working to great. So I put 6 pounds of shock in, and went to bed (had other issues of more importance, like my house smelled like something died in it a week and half ago, but that is another story).
Tue. morning I could see the green had diminished somewhat, and I was starting to see light and dark blotches in the shallow end. So I threw 3 more pounds of shock in, and went back to the work on the house and the smell. As I had time and needed a break from "the smell" I went and tried to remove some more debris from the areas I could see blotches in, it was greatly improved, there was no green now, but the water was/is a milky white. Got another wheelbarrow full out.
Wed. Morning I added 2 more pounds of shock, just because, didn't seem to make any difference. Tried to get more debris out of the deep end, one more wheelbarrow full, not counting any "only leaf loads" I could throw in the yard and mulch.
Basically let the pool sit until power was restored yesterday evening (the 27th).
Turned on the pump, this was about 6:30 PM, pressure was around 28 PSI.
AT 11:00 PM I had to turn it off as pressure was around 35 PSI.
Turned it back on this AM to check it, pressure was around 25, let it run for an hour, so I could have some coffee, etc. Pressure was around 33 PSI.
Figured since I have been bad and not disassembled the DE filter and cleaned it in a couple/few years, it was time.
I forgot 1 - how messy this is and 2 - it is not all that hard, just time consuming.

Cleaned the pump basket, put it all together, restarted.
20 PSI no DE yet, about right. Used to be 17 PSI empty when I had a chlorinator, but since they added the SWG it has based out at 20.
Added my 7.5 (15 scoops) of DE.

Do not have water readings.

I am trying to get it where I can see the remaining debris to remove it, that and the 2 or so turtles I have not yet caught and released.

So am I taking the proper approach?
Anything I should do to make sure the algae bloom does not come back?
When should I have my water checked?

Thanks

The pressure in a DE filter can go up very quickly when fighting algae, you need to keep an eye on it and bump, backwash, and/or clean out as needed.

It would be a huge help if you had a FAS-DPD test kit. Then you could keep the chlorine level just right. Without that it is best to add extra chlorine just to be sure you got everything. With that much debris in the pool there can be algae hiding in the debris that the chlorine won't get to right away, so you need to keep shocking till it clears up a bit more.

A full set of test results would be an excellent idea. Some of the other levels may have gotten out of range from the storm.

What are you using to shock the pool? You need to be careful about using too much dichlor based granular shock because it can raise the CYA level very quickly. Cal-hypo has similar issues with CH, though not as rapidly.

Using a chlorine/ph test kit today, I had 8.2 PH (added 3 pints of acid) and CL was a tad yellower than the top of the scale (I think the top is 3.o).
Have most of the debris out, just a lot of dirt and a few leaves, letting the cleaner take care of that now (vacume side "Thepoolcleaner").

Will most likely have to shut it down in the AM as pressure is climbing, need more DE for backwashing.

Don't know if I will get off work early enough to get my PS for a complete water test.
Water is still milky, but it is more like Skim Milk now :shock: and at least I can see the main drain.

My sympathies!

We got blessed with the outrunners of Kyle the past few days, lots of rain and warm temps. I had cut back on Cl additions because it had been getting colder. Yes, you guessed it: 4" of warm rain got some algae growth going on the bottom. Add that to the leaves and other debris which accumulated during our 2 week vacation and I had a bit of a mess on my hands Sunday.

I scooped, added Cl to shock levels, brushed, and had to drain some of the water out. This morning all is well. Liquid chlorine is wonderful!

I feel for ya! I pulled out 23 lawn & leaf bags filled with pine branches, pine cones, leaves, and debris over the last two weeks.

We didn't have power until yesterday. I just dumped in a bit of bleach and acid over the past couple weeks, cleaned the skimmers and trap yesterday and let the controller take over. Went from green to milky to clear in 24 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.