Pentair Master Temp 250?

HuskerFan_1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Nebraska
It's been awhile since I've had to ask a question, I guess that is a good advertisement for TFP. Follow the pool school and you will have a very clear pool.

I'm having trouble with my Pentair water heater. It is a Mastertemp 250. It started to fire and then quit right away after reading another post I think it was the ignitor/flame sensor causing this problem, when I removed it it broke into two pieces. Waiting for this part.

The other issue was I had a mouse get stuck in the fan and it quit spinning so it caused to AFS(air flow sensor) to cause a fault. With the mouse removed, fan is spinning, and the service heater light comes on immediately. Behind the control board the led light that is on is the AFS.

My question is can I jumper around the AFS switch to see if it is the problem? I know there is plenty of air flow, there is good suction on the inlet side of the fan.

I have the ignitor pulled out now just trying to diagnose if the AFS switch is bad. Does the ignitor have to be plugged in to get it to cycle out of "service heater" mode? No red light on back of panel saying ignitor is bad yet. Im assuming the sequence is to check for air flow first and then try to ignite. I just can't get it to do anything but have the service heater light come on first now.

Thanks for any help.

So I found the problem. The mouse that was caught in the fan made his home in the flame holder. Got that cleaned out and it works fine now.

For those that have a high pitch sound when burner is running the flame holder might be partially blocked. When mine fired and I had it running. (Bypassed the air flow switch), it had a very high pitch sound. Once I removed the mouse nest and unblocked the flame holder, the high pitch sound went away. I hooked air flow switch back up and it all works good.

I'll try to post a picture of what I found.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.