Covering pool niche - what kind of plastic

Sep 21, 2013
We have a 45 year old concrete pool with fiberglass walls with original pool lights that no longer work (all screws corroded and could not get the cable out of the conduit). I considered keeping the lights, but came to the conclusion that after being in the house for over 15 years we only turned them on a handful of times. I am going to cover the pool Niche with some sort of circular plastic material and will glue and screw it into the niche. I found a local guy that can make me what ever i want and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on material and thickness of it.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Tough call.

Acrylic - plexiglass- gets brittle with age and sun
Polycarbonate is expensive and I';m not sure it's available in white
ABS is fairly fragile and also hates sunlight
PVC should work, but if there's any iron in the water, it will absorb it and stain.
Polyethylene would have to be pretty thick to stay rigid - at least 1/2". That's like tupperware.
Polypropylene may also stain, but it does come in solid white, and it's impervious to almost everything. Blow-molded, it's what the inside of most ice chests is made out of these days. 1/4" stuff is pretty strong. If you can find anything thicker, use it.

If I answered too late, what'd you get?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.