Ice/Snow ripped my pool wall

May 25, 2014
MA
Hi, everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me figure out something. I have a 24' steel wall AGP. I generally close it by draining to 6" below the return, then putting on a solid cover. The pool is 3 years old and that's worked fine. This year, not so much.

I went to drain the cover, and we were down to about 18" of water in the pool under the cover. I figured I had a bunch of displacement due to the 100+ inches of snow we got here in Boston this year. Then I went under the deck to re-install the filter motor, and saw the damage. It looks like maybe ice froze into the skimmer basket and then slid down the interior of the pool, crumpling and ripping the wall around the skimmer basket. It's completely ruined, and it's not covered by insurance.

I don't have a lot of "things" that I really love, but the pool was one of them. It's my favorite purchase ever. So, I'm willing to replace it, but I really can't have this happen again. Is there a better solution? A better kind of cover? A skimmer hole cover? I felt like I did everything right, but I guess not. Suggestions are very very welcome.

Thanks!

Welcome out of lurkdom.

I'm so sorry to hear your Pool was destroyed. Did you unhook your hoses and pump this year?

Sorry for your pool loss. :( I would feel the same way.

Can you replace it with a Radiant Metric pool? They do make them in 24' but 52", not 54". Not sure if that's workable with your deck. It's more expensive, but the 2" sectioned walls are supposedly a lot more resistant to winter damage, and the warranty covers against winter damage. You can also replace a section instead of the whole pool.

I've only had my Radiant Metric installed since Sunday, so take my thought for what it's worth. Something to possibly look into, though. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.