Getting Water to the Filter

SEASEA

Jul 22, 2014
Atlanta GA
I inherited a pool this last year, and I have only the slightest idea as to what I'm doing so please bear with me.

I went to open it yesterday. Took the cover off. Removed the only plug in the pool and replaced the only plug that was missing from the pump/filter system. Removed the gizmos from the skimmers. Tried to turn the filter on, and I couldn't get water to it. So, I tried priming the pump myself with the hose. I'm still not getting any access to the pool water.

As far as I know, everything works fine or it did in Novemeber. I just feel like there is a step I'm missing.

My initial thought is the valve for the main drain. I wonder if I need to open it? The problem is, it won't turn in either direction, and I'm not sure why. My gut is telling me that's the issue, but I don't know why it won't turn to open.

Then I wondered if there are some kind of plugs in the skimmers. There are two holes at the bottom, and I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like or if there is something I should remove. The water is too murky to take a pictures.

I know that is not much detail, but if anyone has any ideas of what I'm missing, I'd appreciate it. I've spent an entire day watching "how to" videos and reading through the forum with no luck.

The only details I know to share are that it's an in-ground pool...maybe 30,000 gallons...Triton sand filter.

Easy way to check: open the pump lid and pull the basket. Stick the garden hose into the inlet pipe and cram a rag around it to seal it up a little. Then turn on the water. You'll see turbulence in the skimmer well if the bottom is open. If all you get is water gushing all over the pump, you'll need to start groping around the bottom of the skimmers for a winterizing plug, because it's still sealed.

Easy way to check: open the pump lid and pull the basket. Stick the garden hose into the inlet pipe and cram a rag around it to seal it up a little. Then turn on the water. You'll see turbulence in the skimmer well if the bottom is open. If all you get is water gushing all over the pump, you'll need to start groping around the bottom of the skimmers for a winterizing plug, because it's still sealed.

Well, it wasn't the skimmers. I'll try to post a picture of my pump and filter tomorrow to see if that helps. Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to prime it for about a minute or two. Should I try longer maybe? I will post a picture tomorrow.

Can you add pictures of your equipment and plumbing? Might help us spot something.
How long did you try to get the pump to prime?

I was unable to get a picture today. Still no luck. Tried priming again. Found out a gauge on the filter wasn't screwed in properly and fixed that. Nada. Tried opening and closing all the valves. Nothing. I'm considering calling the guy who closed it to come out...maybe he'll give a discount since the cover is off? Ha. I'm confident nothing is wrong. I think I'm just missing a step.

I don't know if I should start another topic for this, but something occurred to me - when I prime my pump for the first time after the pool has sat unused all winter, should the valves be opened or closed? I've got a main drain valve and two skimmer valves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.