Enough is enough!

New pool owner. Set up pool at end of March and things have been on and off with the pool. Some days the pool looks great, but most of the past few weeks, not so blue. Had first algae issue a month ago, got that all cleared up. For the past week though the water has turned cloudy. Have not had any success in getting it cleared up. Wake up this morning, and the green has returned. Put in more algaecide before work today so I will see what happens when I get home.

Now for the toughest part, I do not have ANY reliable results as all the testing that I have been doing so far has been from the pool store. They helped me getting the pool set up and even clearing out the first algae issue but now it is is becoming more of an issue with them.

With that being said: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

I am going to purchase my own test kit (one of the recommended ones on this site). I am also considering upgrading to at least an 1500gph pump.

Anything else?!

Welcome to TFP!
I would say enough is enough too.

Order a TF 100 kit it is the best bang for your buck. There is a link in my signature. I recommend the speed stir and XL upgrade as you will need to SLAM.

In the meantime you can read through the SLAM process in pool school as well as the link to my Slam in my signature.

- - - Updated - - -

I would consider upgrading to the sand filter pump I have listed in my signature as well.

What she said ^^^^

And no more algaecide. They work better as a preventative than as a treatment, and if it's the cheap kind, it foams. If it has copper, you'll see green hair.

If all you have is some green, but all the chunks are gone, it should be short work to clear things up once you have a test kit. No reason at all the pool won't be sparkling clear by Memorial DAy.

I appreciate the quick feedback. I know that it will take some time to get the desired final result, just want to get rid of the green to start. I used the same product to first time to clear up and it worked great! No foaming and worked pretty fast so we will see about today.

Get home last night and it was too dark to see the pool bottom but the water in the pump looked clear so I left it on. Wake up this morning and the pool is even darker green. Dumped a good amount of liquid chlorine in and now finally its starting to turn blue with a milky appearance. I am taking that as the bad stuff is getting eaten. Will let it run over night and then put the filter back in maybe with some clarifier?
With some fingers crossed, it looks like my pool should be at least somewhat tolerable come this weekend.

Stop with all the magic in a bottle stuff, all you need is liquid chlorine / bleach, and a good test kit to know if you have enough, and not too much, would you try driving a car without a speedometer?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

From your first post it appeared that you were here to learn a better way. And yet you seem to continue to blindly add chemicals and hope for the best. There is no need to hope if you learn and follow the TFP teachings because it works every time ... and usually for less money.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get home last night and it was too dark to see the pool bottom but the water in the pump looked clear so I left it on. Wake up this morning and the pool is even darker green. Dumped a good amount of liquid chlorine in and now finally its starting to turn blue with a milky appearance. I am taking that as the bad stuff is getting eaten. Will let it run over night and then put the filter back in maybe with some clarifier?
With some fingers crossed, it looks like my pool should be at least somewhat tolerable come this weekend.

Will let it run overnight?

The pump should be running 24/7 when SLAMing.

and then put the filter back in?

Why is the filter out?

I appreciate the quick feedback. I know that it will take some time to get the desired final result, just want to get rid of the green to start. I used the same product to first time to clear up and it worked great! No foaming and worked pretty fast so we will see about today.

Just because something worked once prior to this year doesn't mean it will work again. Your water could be entirely different in chemistry yet look the same. Some chemicals you add are cumulative, others degrade in time and break down to nothing (much). Without proper tests you don't know what you're doing or adding and why. Sure must be expensive too, yet not working. Using the TFPC method is usually much cheaper and works great. Your call.

Oh yeah- Howdy! We'll all help you get sparkling clear water!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.