1st SLAM!

mkohr

Mar 18, 2015
Lebanon, PA
I am newbie to the TFP method:D.... Just opened my pool on Friday 5/8 and started the SLAM procedure,As of this am my CC is down to 1.
I had no idea it would take sooo much bleach to do a SLAM.
I think in all i used around 27 gallons of 8.25% to get to the CC of 1 and FC of 8 this am.
Is this normal?I wasn't prepared for that amount ...

Ok got home from work and check my FC3.5 and cc-1.0 figured out how much to add to bring back up to 16 for slam. Add that amount now 2-hrs later FC is .05 at best. This am when I left for work it was FC-8 and Cc 1.0 added the appropriate amount to bring up to 16ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can't you achieve the same thing by using non-chlorine shock to destroy the chloramines?

We prefer to to use bleach here.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I didn't realize I was going to be using $40+ per day of bleach.

The bleach use will slow as you progress. Add more bleach to get your FC back up there.

So let me ask another question .... After I am finished withe the slam process how often would you need to slam again? Or is it just maintain your daily loss of chlorine?

Quite possibly, never again. Certainly not during the swim season. Just maintain FC above the minimum for your CYA and it can;t get started. If you close your pool late and open it early when the water is too cold for algae, you might never see algae again.

My family is starting to doubt me...especially since I opened the pool and with 10,000 of fresh water it was just cloudy. No swamp
Or anything like that. As of now is is just a little cloudy. And I am still dumping Clorox in like I have stock in the company. I keep telling them to trust me.

LOL, get off the bleach! When your SLAM is complete you normally only need to add 2-4ppm per day to maintain FC level. The key to not having to SLAM your pool again is to never let your FC drop below the minimum for your CYA level here, Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep it at target or slightly above. Also, it is safe to swim as long as FC is below shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.