New pool build - plaster failed QC

Sep 2, 2008
We have had an unusually wet spring in DFW this year. As such, the 5-8 wk pool build that got started in Jan is still not completed. This weekend they tried to beat some rain and plaster the pool. Unfortunately, right as they were finishing a pop-up shower hit the site and lasted about 5-10 minutes. Today the owner called to inform me that they lost the pool and would have to re-plaster it. In fact, the plaster company called the owner to tell them they already knew they lost the pool when it started to rain. We are using StoneScape mini-midnight in color with abolone shell.

In any event - I didn't get a good feeling for what to expect. They were physically power hammering out the areas near the pipes and lights but from what I can tell, it looks like they're just paining the surface white. Is that all they do? Just paint it and plaster right over the top or should they be actually jack-hammering all of the old plaster completely out of the pool?

Thought I'd ask the forum to see if anyone knows for sure. I don't want them to cut corners and while I've had trouble getting progress with this company, the workmanship to date looks very good. Here is a quick pic as of a few mins ago vs Saturday when they were finishing up.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 395
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 399
OK - I just got word back. I guess it's a bond kote (SIC). They chipped away at the locations they needed to so there wouldn't be any bowing affect from the new plaster but effectively they say that while inconvenient, it should make the plaster stronger and last longer than with a single coat. I have no idea the truth to that, but that's what they told me.

OK - I just got word back. I guess it's a bond kote (SIC). They chipped away at the locations they needed to so there wouldn't be any bowing affect from the new plaster but effectively they say that while inconvenient, it should make the plaster stronger and last longer than with a single coat. I have no idea the truth to that, but that's what they told me.

This is exactly what they did to my pool when I had it re-plastered. They typically don't do full chip-outs in Texas. Not sure what the disadvantages are of bond kote versus a full chip-out. Interestingly in CA they require a full chip-out prior to a re-plaster. Not sure why...

Well they came back about 7:00a today to get started. About noon-ish they were finishing up. Looks like they finished and beat the rain by an hour or two today, so hopefully this will work out better than the first attempt.

I think the guy initially said they'd let it cure for a day before coming back to acid wash and fill it. I'm not sure if that means the rain will affect it or not, but it won't be full of water right away. I'm just happy for the progress though.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 276
That is a normal process, plaster and acid wash and fill the next day. The issue likely was that the plaster hadn't hardened enough before it rained last time. Looks good from here!

I am in similar issue in DFW with rain causing delays. They say going to start plaster next week. My concern is that the pool has water and trash and algae. What process is used to "clean-up" (especially the algae) the pool before installing plaster to insure good adhesion and do not end up on list of "bad Plaster" job

I am in similar issue in DFW with rain causing delays. They say going to start plaster next week. My concern is that the pool has water and trash and algae. What process is used to "clean-up" (especially the algae) the pool before installing plaster to insure good adhesion and do not end up on list of "bad Plaster" job

No worries. Plaster crew does that type of cleanup every day. They will pump out and power wash and it will be ready in no time.

I feel a little better, I was concerned that the gunite needs to be dry before putting plaster. My concern is they plan to drain and power wash and apply plaster same day. If drain and power wash I would think the gunite surface will not be dry. So will there be a problem with adhesion.
Also reading about re-plaster process, some product called SGM Bond-Kote is applied to make sure good adhesion of plaster.
Is this necessary for new pool getting first plaster?
thanks for any input

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.