New Pool Build - Naples, Florida

May 11, 2015
Naples/FLORIDA
Hi Guys,

I am new here but after spending a day or so on this site, it seems like everyone is so friendly and genuinely sharing ideas and experience so I thought I would start a thread about my pool design process so far. I plan on updating this thread as the construction progresses.

At this time, I am still in design phase. In fact my house is still under construction. I plan on building the pool post closing of my house which is expected in late June, so I should break ground on the pool in July.

Below are some renderings to show you the pool design details. Be great to hear thoughts and suggestions.

Pool Design:
- Basically its a geometric shaped pool
- Overall length of the pool is 33' and 18'6" wide
- 2 sun decks, 1 in shallow end and another in the deep end with a small swimout leading to the sun deck
- will have a bench running from sun deck to spa on the left side of the pool
- I have a 6'x6' spa that is infinity edged all around and raised 12" with 1 Pentair LED colored spa light
- pool depth will be 3'6" to 6'6"
- plan on using limestone/shellstone in french pattern for the deck and coping
- glass 1"x1" mosaic tile for the water line and the entire spa inside and exterior will be tiled
- 3 Pentair LED color lights
- 5 pool circulation returns
- 1 surface skimmer
- 2 main drains
- Florida stucco interior finish with silver pearl and added blue and glass beads
- 9 door and window alarms

Pool Equipment:
- Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump
- Pentair 320 cartridge filter
- 320 Rainbow inline chlorinator
- 2hp Blower
- Pentair Ultra Temp 5 ton heat pump
- Pentair Mobil Touch wireless remote with spa side remote
- Pentair IC40 Salt Generator
- Mechanical Autofill

Pool enclosure:
- 2 story pool screen enclosure with 20' screen walls

Few Questions I am hoping to get input on:
(1) is a salt water chlorinator worth the hassle with dealing with the system and possible repairs?
(2) how does the salt water impact/wear and tear on the pool deck? Limestone or Travertine?
(3) I have received two bids from two PB...one was around 95k and another was around 105-110k...I never knew pools cost this much. It doesn't seem like the pool design is over the top or I've added anything crazy but its still a ~100k pool! Thoughts on the pricing?

BELOW ARE PICS TO HOPEFULLY GIVE YOU A SENSE OF MY DESIGN...APOLOGIES AHEAD OF TIME THAT ACTUAL CONSTRUCTION PICS WONT START COMING UNTIL JULY.

Pool design (2D rendering):

3D Pool Design Renderings:

Glass Tile I will be using:

Few pics of the house under construction so you get a sense of the back yard:

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

That will be a nice pool. I can tell you that most folks who have a SWG wouldn't do without it. It is by far, the easiest way to chlorinate your pool.

Salt can have SOME effect on softer stones like limestone but it is gradual over a longer period of time and you can head off those problems should you start to see them.

I have no comment on cost because it is very regional and that cost may or may not be a bargain in your area.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool. Looks good!

Since you are doing two sun shelves maybe make one 6"-8" deep and the other a foot or so for some variety.
3'6" is too shallow (waist deep) and 6'6" is too deep to stand and too shallow to dive. 4x5x4 is just right, says goldilocks. :) Hold a tape measure up to everyone and see where the numbers end up.
I'm a big fan of the Petair VS pump.
I'd go bigger on the filter, 420 or even 520. Since it is in a lanai that might help.
Don't need the - 320 Rainbow inline chlorinator with saltwater
Big +1 on an autofill and get an overflow too.

Few Questions I am hoping to get input on:
(1) is a salt water chlorinator worth the hassle with dealing with the system and possible repairs?
- absolutely, positively, I will never another pool that isn't saltwater
(2) how does the salt water impact/wear and tear on the pool deck? Limestone or Travertine?
- That is one of the timeless debates in the poolsphere.
(3) I have received two bids from two PB...one was around 95k and another was around 105-110k...I never knew pools cost this much. It doesn't seem like the pool design is over the top or I've added anything crazy but its still a ~100k pool! Thoughts on the pricing?
- Seems a little high compared to DFW, TX. But, if you get multiple bids in the same price range then it is what it is. The only real way to lower the price at this point is to delete the spa and add a stand alone hot tub, which will be cheaper, more energy efficient, more comfortable and have better jets, cover, etc.

Thanks for all input. Keep them coming!

- I will ask my PB on the filter to see if he suggests a bigger one
- I was told I needed the 320 inline chlorinator as well because for the first month you can't use salt water system
- let me speak to my wife and PB about the depth of the sun decks. Right now the one in the shallow in is 9" deep while the one in the deep end as a 18" deep 18" size swim out and then a sun deck that is 9" deep. My original thought was to have the sun deck in the shallow end for the kids and the one in the deep end for the adults. Perhaps I can make the one in the deep end completely 18" deep

My input.... Tell the PB what filter YOU want. His opinion on the issue is somewhat irrelevant. You will use bleach to chlorinate for the first month...he isn't likely familiar with that concept, so he speaks what he knows and suggests the inline chlorinator.

Unfortunately I know nothing about pool filters so have no clue of what size I need or want so will have to rely on the PB's suggestion.

On another note the PB suggested adding 3 bubblers on the left side of the pool. Rendering below. What do you guys think?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the rendering.

Rely on the PB for filter size at your own risk. I'd highly recommend taking PoolDV's advice on filter size. The authorities on pool maintenance are here, not on your PB's payroll.
The inline chlorinator item isn't a big deal either way. It just points out his lack knowledge of a wider range of pool maintenance methodologies.

I'm so glad you've joined in the fun! Your pool design is really cool. I think having two sun decks would be awesome! I'm in the build process and, it's too late for another sun deck. I think Pooldv and you have the right idea about 2 different depths on the sun decks - a more shallow one for the kids in the shallow end and the deeper sun deck in the deep end. So smart.

As far as filters go, from what I've read all over the internet and from what 4 different PB's told me, a bigger filter is better - and easier maintenance for you. I haven't found disagreement about cartridge filters. (a lot on other equipment, sanitization, SWG impact on stones, etc.) Do some more research and see what you think. But my pool is just a little larger than yours, and my builder said he wouldn't give me anything less than the 580 (Jandy).

What a beautiful home you're building! You guys must be so excited and ready to move in! Good luck and take care. Suz.

PoolDV, what is an overflow? You mentioned that I should get one...what is it and what do they do? Where can I read up on this? Thanks for the help.

An overflow is a fitting with a grate that goes in your tile at the water line. It is plumbed to take overflow water away from your pool. So, when it rains you don't have to worry about your pool flooding or having to drain water from your pool. Your PB knows what it is, nothing to it, just make sure it takes the water someplace away from the house and pool and downhill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As I posted above, i am thinking of possibly adding a water feature to the left side of the pool between the sub deck and the spa. I posted a 2D drawing of 3 bubblers being added. Another option I've explored is to add 3 Pentair Magicstream Laminars. However, my PB told me that he has not had very good feedback from his customers who've installed laminars. Saying they are nearly impossible to adjust and maintain an uniform arch/stream for more than a few days as any kind of minor debris or anything at all that blocks one of the sprouts of the laminars will cause the stream to not spray as adjusted and not be consistent with the others. He mentioned customers were so frustrated on constantly having to adjust and readjust the laminars that he recommends not using them and going with the bubblers.

Be great to get some first hand feedback from others on TFP that have used Pentair Laminars and what they feel about them.

Thanks.

Having a kids' zone and an adult zone is a good idea, we enforce that regularly. I don't have bubblers or laminars, this is just based on what I've read here. You will probably like bubblers better. Everything you say about laminars is true and also that they are pretty noisy. Do a search, upper right, on laminars there are lots of discussions about them.

The only downside to getting a smaller filter is that you will have to clean it more often. The only downside to getting a bigger filter is it costs a little more.

+ for the SWG
- for the inline chlorinator Rainbow 320. No reason to have it.
+ for larger filter. The CC 320 is big enough to do the job, but going with a bigger filter will result in longer time in between cleaning he cartridges. Bigger filter also means less restiance to the water flow. Less resistance means the pump is more efficient at pumping X amount of water. Which means the pump doesnt have to work as hard to get the job done. When it comes to filters, and especially cartridge filters the bigger the better.

For the laminars to work correctly, the nozzles have to be spic n span so that the tension on the water stream is not disrupted. Any piece of sand or debris which gets onto the nozzle will disrupt the water tension and the stream will break, spray, or not be uniform, like it is in the videos.

Bubblers seem to be very popular and relatively trouble free.

Ok...after deciding to use a different PB, here is the breakdown of the equipment. Appreciate everyone's views on if this is the best equipment for my pool. I know nothing about the equipment. Please help.

- Pentair 150sf Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter (should I ask for the 200sf model?)
- Pentair 3hp Intelliflo Varible Speed
- Pentair IC Intellichlor Generator
- Pentair IC40 Salt Generator
- 135,000 BTU Aquacal Titanium Heat Pump
- Pentair Globrite LED x 3 for the pool
- Pentair Globate LED for the Spa
- Pentair Screen Logic Mobile with Spa side remote

How does this compare with my original equipment in original post? Any suggestions?

Thanks so much pooldv! Given my pool dimensions. I calculated that it will be roughly 16,500 gallons. For some reason my PB thinks the 200sf cartridge filter is more than sufficient but I kind of like going with your suggestion of going slightly bigger. So you think I should jump from 200sf to the 420sf or 520sf?

Bigger filter = less cleaning
I have no idea why the 2nd PB thinks the 200sf is ok or why the first one recommended the 320. Unless being in a lanai makes a big difference in pool cleanliness.
Not sure what the price difference is, but I doubt it is much. The only downside to the 520 is it costs more and it is physically bigger.

Nobody here will recommend a smaller filter.

I am near you in Fort Myers with a slightly smaller pool and agree with the bigger is better crowd. I am in the process of replacing our Clean and Clear 150 with a new Clean and Clear plus 420. The 150 did fine, so your pool builder isn't wrong. It's just that the bigger filter has a longer run time before cleaning, can better deal with an algae bloom should you have one and tends to be less restrictive (particularly since it doesn't get dirty as quickly). In pricing a new filter (ours needs replacing due to age), the 150 was $500 or the 420 was $750. Interestingly the 4 cartridges for the 420 aren't much more expensive to replace than the single 150 cartridge. It just doesn't seem like a tough choice. Our screened enclosures down here really do help a lot with reduced junk in the pool so you can't go wrong either way and truthfully you'd be fine with any of the pool builder recommended sizes but now is the time to oversize the filter if you can. Personally, I am just hoping to get better long term efficiency and longer cleaning intervals for only a bit more money invested up front.

Otherwise, all of the equipment spec'ed looks good and will be very similar to my rebuild.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.