Test results on tap water before pool install

May 3, 2015
Savannah, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Our pool will be installed Thursday.
We ordered the k-2006 test kit. It came today. I tested our tap water and here are my results.
tap water from sink:
FC- .6 ppm
CC- 0
pH-7.8
TA- 120
CH-70
CYA-0

For our 13,000 gal pool what do you suggest?
And the order?
Thx

24 round 52 Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method, taylor K-2006 kit

You are going to want to get the CYA up to around 30, and then a second step to the 40 range, so buy sufficient CYA for that. Have bleach on hand to bring the chlorine up to 2 - 4 at first, but then it will be determined by CYA level. You will also want to bring the pH down a little with Muratic Acid.

Almost all of this can be done at around the same time. Have the CYA to 30 ready in a sock so when the water level gets up you can hang it in front of a return. If it were me I'd be pouring very small amounts of bleach into the pool as it fills, pouring it where the hose is stirring things up. Pool Math tells me that 39oz of 8.25 bleach will bring your 13,000 gallon pool up to 2ppm FC so be careful you don't add too much. I'm not sure how they calculated your volume - is the 13,000 gal if they fill it to the top or is that a normal fill? Anyway, not too much.

Then, once full and the pump is running test and adjust your pH. Give it another 30 minutes with the pump running and test and adjust your FC.

Perfect. So How many gallons of bleach would you recommend to have on hand. Since its new I'm unsure how many gallons I'm going to need so that I'm not running to get it repeatedly to get pool started.

24 round 52 Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method, taylor K-2006 kit

Well, the 2ppm is requiring 39oz (+/-) or just a little over 1/3 of a bottle. Loosing a couple of ppm to the sun per day is not an unreasonable number so to round things figure half a bottle a day to keep on hand. How many days do you want? Figure 6 bottles is 12 days.

Plus, you want at least one bottle of Muratic Acid. Blue label stuff from Lowes in the paint section.

Back when i was a young engineer responsible for the cooling water and steam systems for a chemical plant, we tested city water occassionally. It was alway important to run the water for a good 5-10 min so that we knew we were testing water from the city water main and not water that was sitting stagnant in the pipes.

Same should be true at home, but you probably only need to run the water for a minute or 2 to be sure you are getting a good representative sample. It may be more important if you were testing for metals.

this reminded me that i haven't done a complete test of my city water since becoming a TFP believer. Thanks for the reminder!

My water had been running a while when the post lady came. I was doing dishes. So it wasn't old water I guess. I have everything accept the bleach. I remember from reading about shelf life and losing strength. I just wanted to be ready over the weekend while pool fills and I can start adding bleach. I figured about 6 gallons to have on hand.
I'll be hoping to pay full attention all week because Sunday the 24th is my son's graduation party and we're hoping it's one that includes the pool!

My water had been running a while when the post lady came. I was doing dishes. So it wasn't old water I guess. I have everything accept the bleach. I remember from reading about shelf life and losing strength. I just wanted to be ready over the weekend while pool fills and I can start adding bleach. I figured about 6 gallons to have on hand.
I'll be hoping to pay full attention all week because Sunday the 24th is my son's graduation party and we're hoping it's one that includes the pool!

It might be chilly, but there's no reason the pool can't be usable by the 24th! I'd say 3 gallons of bleach should be plenty to keep on hand.

You want the quick start? As soon as the pool is full, get the pump and filter going and make sure the water is circulating and nothing leaks. Go ahead and add 2 ppm FC right then. Then go fumble around measuring out CYA granules into a hole-less sock. If it fits in the skimmer without blocking flow, set it there. If it's too big, hang it in front of the return jet and let the water pummel it. After the bleach has had half an hour to mix, test the pH and TA and use poolmath to figure out how much acid, if any, you need to get it to 7.4 or so. Then go change into swimsuits. If you dribbled the acid into the return stream like you should have, it'll be diluted enough to get in. A little swimming and splashing will mix it completely.

That sounds like a game plan!! Thursday can't get here fast enough!!

I finally found those links after getting on my laptop. My Samsung note 3 was not directing me at all. I'm not sure why. but I uncovered a bunch of helpful stuff after hopping on the laptop. Even more than what I already read. I could open up pool school but I didn't have access to the other stuff. That's a good tip for those on mobile devices. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.