Intex Easy Set or Frame?

May 11, 2015
Pittsburgh
I plan on getting a small above ground pool to practice rolling our whitewater kayaks and a way to teach our daughters in the more friendly confines of clear pool water instead of river or lake water. A friend of ours has an easy set and recommended it for us. I fully expect these to have a life of a few years and I think that is all we need it for.

I'm concerned about the durability of the easy set pool. Since the pool will be subject to getting hit with the paddle, both the walls and the bottom, would the frame pools be a better solution?

I also plan on getting the salt system since we will be putting our gear in the pool and chlorine is not good for it. Is the Intex one good?

Thank you

We used to have one of the cheapie Intex blue pools...I forget what they're called but NOT the ultra frame. I think we paid under $150 for it at Wal-Mart and we used it for 6-7 years. We took it down and stored every winter, and it was still perfectly fine when we got rid of it. We just sold it when we moved to a home with space for a bigger, permanent pool. Definitely got our money's worth!

Frame.

I had an easy set, upgraded to a bigger easy set the following year & within a month had bought the same size metal frame pool.
I asked on here first & it was unanimous :D

They are more stable.
You get a larger water area.
You can touch the sides of the pool without fear of all the water coming out.

Thanks everyone. Confirmed what I was feeling. Thanks for the information regarding the salt system. I'm early in this process and looks like I need to do a little more work. The gear in question are the neoprene spray skirts and latex gaskets on drytops. Everybody rinses them after pool sessions. I was hopping by not exposing to chlorine I wouldn't have to worry about it or my kids forget doing it.

Saltwater system is the way to go. While it does generate chlorine it is at a much lower level then traditional chlorine pools and a different chemical makeup. Thus, No burning eyes, chlorine smell, constant shocking and it is basically maintenance free. Plus your skin feels great from the saltwater. Make sure you do NOT get the old style Intex saltwater system off ebay or craigslist. Ex: cs8110, old systems have the horizontal 2 prong salt sensor that is a flat plug in about the middle. Was a bad design and it eventually broke after 2 years and it will give an incorrect low salt error code. Buy a newer design like CG28663 which puts it on the outside as a screw on connector.

How it works:
Common salt (sodium chlorine) is made up of two elements; sodium and chlorine. Salt water passes through the saltwater pool systems electrolytic cell to produce chlorine, which is then dissolved instantly in the water. This continuous process destroys bacteria, viruses, algae, and the copper ions oxidizes other organic materials in the pool. Another benefit is the water is softened naturally by the salt. Most major water parks and hotels are converting to saltwater systems, just cheaper to run and customers like it better.

:wave: Welcome to TFP, MustangJim1!!!

I am going to dispute a few of your comments in red below, if you would like to further discuss, please start your own thread.

Saltwater system is the way to go. While it does generate chlorine it is at a much lower level then traditional chlorine pools and a different chemical makeup.
It is true that with a SWG you can get by with a slightly lower FC level for a given CYA level. But chlorine is chlorine ... there is no different chemical makeup

Thus, No burning eyes, chlorine smell, constant shocking and it is basically maintenance free.
Those are all symptoms of high CC levels and thus inadequate chlorine levels. At higher FC levels you are less likely to have those problems. And a SWG is not maintenance free, you still need to be testing your water often and adjusting the SWG output and occasionally cleaning the cell.

Plus your skin feels great from the saltwater.
Anyone can add salt to their pool, even without a SWG to get this effect.

Make sure you do NOT get the old style Intex saltwater system off ebay or craigslist. Ex: cs8110, old systems have the horizontal 2 prong salt sensor that is a flat plug in about the middle. Was a bad design and it eventually broke after 2 years and it will give an incorrect low salt error code. Buy a newer design like CG28663 which puts it on the outside as a screw on connector.
Likely good advice

How it works: this is just copied from somewhere and is marketing ...
Common salt (sodium chlorine) is made up of two elements; sodium and chlorine. Salt water passes through the saltwater pool systems electrolytic cell to produce chlorine, which is then dissolved instantly in the water. This continuous process destroys bacteria, viruses, algae, and the copper ions oxidizes other organic materials in the pool.
TFP highly recommends you disconnect the copper bars if you get a SWG that includes them. Minerals are unnecessary and can lead to additional problems like green hair and stained pools.

Another benefit is the water is softened naturally by the salt. Most major water parks and hotels are converting to saltwater systems, just cheaper to run and customers like it better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had an easy set. Briefly. Frame is much better. I personally do not like chlorine, I use the Baquacil products and love it.

Happy it is working for you, but you are in the vast minority. Most Baq users find us when they tire of the expense and cloudy water and looking to switch to chlorine.

Fyi- New Intex systems don't have copper bars any more.

Actually most chlorine tablets are 85% Calcium Hypochlorite (CaCl2O2) and 15% who knows what from China. By contrast the salt cell or generator utilizes electrolysis to produce pure chlorine. The electrolysis breaks down or separates the salt, also known as sodium chloride or NaCl in the pool water. The chemical reaction created by electrolysis produces chlorine in the form of sodium hypochlorite and hypochlorous acid. Sodium hypochlorite is an ionic compound, it is a combination of the ions sodium (Na+) and hypochlorite (ClO-), forms the molecular formula of NaClO. Find that in a brochure.

Have no idea what CC Is. Chloramines and contaminants? Chloramines are a by-product of oxidation process with the chlorine. They are what causes irritation of the skin, red eyes and the chlorine smell. The saltwater electrolysis process eliminates Chloramines and you never have that smell or irritation. Exactly why I bought a saltwater system since my 3 year old had very sensitive skin.

Dump all the salt you want in a traditional chlorine pool, unless you eliminate the Chloramines you will still have that smell and skin irritation.

First, rarely are tablets cal-hypo. The few that are turn into mush and dissolve too fast for pool use. They are nearly all Trichlor.

Second, by maintaining adequate FC, the CC will be eliminated ... Regardless if you have a SWG or not. The CC are also destroyed by the sun.

Agreed, and any source of Chlorine in a pool can contribute CC, even a SWCG. When FC reacts it creates CC as you noted. A SWG does not prevent that, and not every ounce of water can pass though there and have it's CC eliminated.

The key, is proper Chlorine maintenance and balance. No matter the source.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.