abandoned pool and mosquitos

Dec 2, 2013
So my neighbor more or less abandoned her house for several months and now her pool is a giant mosquito pond.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what I might put in the pool to eliminate the mosquito's?
We never had a mosquito issue prior to this event so it is most definitely associated with her pool gone bad.

I am not a lawyer, so the legality of what I say is up to you to determine and I take no responsibility.

That said, if it is just being left to become a swamp then there are products that can be thrown in stagnant water to kill mosquito eggs and larvae. It may be worth contacting your city as well, some have mosquito control programs and will check it out for you.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Contact the city/county authorities.

In the meantime, you could toss a few of these over the fence, into the pool:
110_clip1109.jpg

I had this very situation and did as suggested, called the county extension agent. It took some time, but finally the property owner was forced to act. He wound up filling his abandoned pool with soil, then covering that with concrete. It was the site of a old, abandoned hotel. Skeeter problems all gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's our vector, Victor?

Thanks for all the reply's so far guys.
Victor's vector is Northeast Georgia, it is very rural area.
I have five acres of land and the neighbor in question resides on 2.5 acres.
You would think that there would not be an issue given the amount of land however there is.

I think I will end up giving her a call as the property is getting out of hand.
The lawn is a foot high and the pool is a swamp. It is a shame because the property was always well maintained up until last fall.
I she chooses to do nothing I will go ahead with the dunks and try to be patient as if I call the county she will know it was me and I do not need the headaches.

Call the homeowner first and if that does not work you will have one choice but to call the county. Sounds like she abandoned the property. Ask her if she can at least drain the pool if it is one that can safely be drained.

We have one near where I live in Roseville, CA. The most the county will do is have vector control put in some mosquito fish.

The guy who's house abuts to it, throws in chlorine pucks from time to time. The mosquito tabs might be a good idea too, if you can get the concentration up. Plus there is junk in the pool adding to the danger. Either way, given the thicket of regulations that control every iota of life in California, no one really gives a **** about diseased swimming pools.

It's a rotten situation.

Unfortunately it is a vinyl liner in ground pool so I believe draining it will not be an option.
She put a for sale by owner sign up last week however unless she mows the lawn and cleans the pool up no one in their right mind will ever look at it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.