Mysterious Water Flow issue

evanwellens

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Stony Point, NY
First I have to say this is the bestest site !! Last time I was over my head this site ( not the guys I paid to sell me stuff ) was the only help...

I have a hayward C4530 cartridge filter and Northstar pump on an inground pool.Recently opened pool. all worked fine pressure ran a little high bit I expected that will the mess. When swiping out cartridges the plastic tip top of the air relief tube seem to have been damaged. The tube is intact , just the top plastic bit. The filter worked fine after that, but... Now the filter wont prime properly. Will replacing this internal tube help or is the matter unrelated ? I don't believe that's the problem , and figured impeller? But I fill the basket with water and instantly it's sucked in, also there is flow ( the kind there always is just before it gets going, but it doesn't get going. Something similar would happen if I left the manual bleeder open on the filter. So maybe it is the little plastic bit. I'm at a loss of where to look next, as one "Expert" said it's not the problem. I'd take apart the pump , but it doesn't come apart easily like the videos I've seen and any more force used ( I'm a big guy) and I'm afraid I'll cause damage .

Any advice please... It's getting hot ;-)

Thanks !!!
Evan

I don't think it is the air relief tube either. Priming issues are usually always on the suction side of the pump. Either a clogged line or impeller. This happens a lot on openings when people are cleaning up a lot of debris.

Check the impeller inlet for any debris. Flush the suction line backwards towards the impeller with a wet rag wrapped around a hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.