New Construction: Electric AFTER Plaster?

May 11, 2015
Arkansas
Hey, guys. I'm new to this forum and we're currently having our first pool built. and I think our builder is going to give me an ulcer. We started on February 6 and we're still not finished. We did have some snow...and a lot of rain, but we have also had A LOT of wasted days. And a LOT of excuses. In the beginning, he told us 8 weeks was our "worst case scenario" and we're now on week 14.

My concern today is that we're FINALLY scheduled for plaster tomorrow (supposedly), but the electrical work hasn't been done. Is that okay? I've read that the filter should be running as soon as the pool is full, so my guess is no.

And, as for the electrician, who provides him with the equipment? Does he bring it? Or does the builder give it to him? I was told electric would cost in the ballpark of $1200-$1500.

Honestly, my fear is that he'll do the plaster and then we'll never hear from him again because we are supposed to pay the electrician and not the builder for the electric. I'm worried we could get screwed and not get the equipment for the electrical work. He still owe's us a a safety cover, too.

What we have left to pay is the plaster portion of the contract, the electrical (that goes to the electrician), and the final closing fee of around $1200.

So, you see my concern? I'm worried that I'll pay him for plaster and never see him again...and I won't have the pumps/electrical equipment or the cover...so, basically he'll owe me more than I owe him after the plaster.

Ugh. Please advise.

Use the final payment until everything is done. Pay the electrician, get that done, but you hold the power with the final installment. If he won't plaster until he's paid, you chose a poor builder. Plaster, cover, pool up and running and all ok before you make the last payment.

MyPB delivered the equipment, plumbers installed it and electrician connected to electricity.

If he won't plaster until you pay that is probably good. Tell him you aren't paying until the equipment is installed.

He will plaster and then want me to pay immediately after. Same day. That's what we've been doing and it has been fine so far, but I'm getting worried now about the fact that we have no equipment for the electrician and so little left to pay.

I would have felt better if the electric job/equipment were installed and paid for before the plaster.

I think that I would tell the PB that you do not want plaster until the equipment is installed and wired. And that if he does plaster that you do not intend to pay for it until the equipment is installed and running. Not being able to circulate and filter your water after a new plaster job is not good.

Few questions.

1. Is the electrician sub by you or builder?
2. Heated pool?
3. After plaster does the builder plan on doing an acid bath for 2 weeks? If he plans on doing an acid bath after the plaster then he is probably going to say the equipment will be installed during this period. If he is doing an acid startup you don't want to run the pump during this period because of the low PH. If your pool is heated you also don't want that acid getting to the heater.

Few questions.

1. Is the electrician sub by you or builder?
2. Heated pool?
3. After plaster does the builder plan on doing an acid bath for 2 weeks? If he plans on doing an acid bath after the plaster then he is probably going to say the equipment will be installed during this period. If he is doing an acid startup you don't want to run the pump during this period because of the low PH. If your pool is heated you also don't want that acid getting to the heater.
The electrician is sub by the builder. I think he's going to do an acid wash after the plaster? We won't have a heater. It will be a salt system.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I should add that my paranoia is fueled by an issue that we had with our decking. He didn't measure correctly (or at all) and poured too much. He wanted us to pay the overage even though it was his mistake. We agreed to pay about half ($700), but it left a bad taste in my mouth and some trust was lost. He guilted us into paying even though it wasn't in our contract and it was his mistake. He really wanted us to pay it all, but we didn't. I'm a fair person, and I know we'll be glad for the extra decking, but the way it all happened and our conversation about it has really bothered me. And we're on a strict budget. I just want this pool to be done and the builder chasing to be over.

Usually the $ can be worked, though it may be uncomfortable, it can be worked out.

My concern is for your pool. Once the plaster is in, it needs to be filled with water right away and you need the capability to cirucluate the water immediately after its full. So,,, you need the equipment and electrics done
by the time the pool is full of water. You dont want plaster sitting in open air any longer than whats absolutely necessary.

Plaster is forumulated to be under water.

Usually the $ can be worked, though it may be uncomfortable, it can be worked out.

My concern is for your pool. Once the plaster is in, it needs to be filled with water right away and you need the capability to cirucluate the water immediately after its full. So,,, you need the equipment and electrics done
by the time the pool is full of water. You dont want plaster sitting in open air any longer than whats absolutely necessary.

Plaster is forumulated to be under water.
That's my concern, too. I texted him and asked that (if he had the electrician scheduled for Wed since he's plastering tomorrow) at 8:30 this morning and he hasn't responded.

Remember that at this point, the schedule really isn't important, what is important is to get a quality pool that will last. If it were me, I would be there when the plasters people show up, and tell them to not work. Sit down with the builder, and finalize the schedule for open items and payments. Be clear that you will not make the last payment until you have a pool that is fully functioning and has passed any inspection if applicable. Be nice, fair and reasonable, and things will work out well. I would try to not bring up past issues or delays unless the conversation takes a negative turn and is necessary. I would just say that as the end is near, you want to be certain on all of the finishing timeline

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.