Need to increase my PH Level

All are really best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

How much do you need to raise it? Can you do it with aeration, like building a little fountain?

I want to do this by aeration. The pool has 3 returns and 6 of them rotate (some sort of oscillating octal circulation). The PH has not moved from 7.2 since April 26th. This is when I opened the pool. I would like to be ready to increase the PH, just in case.

I do have some other questions:

1) How long does it take for the PH to adjust in the water after making adjustments. I know with soil conditions, that it take months. I doubt pools are that way.
2) My CYA is between 30 and 40. Can I keep my FC slightly on the higher side, say at the 50 CYA range? I am afraid of FC burning faster than I calculated.

1) How long does it take for the PH to adjust in the water after making adjustments. I know with soil conditions, that it take months. I doubt pools are that way. If you add Washing Soda, Soda Ash or Borax it will ocme up all most instantly as the water mixes. Areation can take time depending on how much water movement and small bubbles you can create.

2) My CYA is between 30 and 40. Can I keep my FC slightly on the higher side, say at the 50 CYA range? I am afraid of FC burning faster than I calculated. It is safe to swim up to the shock level for your CYA level, so the answer to you r question would be yes. The only downside is you will use more chlorine.

Question:

Assuming I burn off between 2 ppm - 3 ppm daily. Based on my coverage area I will need to add a certain amount of liquid chlorine. I am still only adding the same amount of liquid chlorine. Or do higher levels burn off faster? If so, then it would make sense to keep the CYA at the bottom of the range.

At a CYA of 30, the recommended range is 2 - 4. At 40, the recommended range is 3-5. What I am suggesting is to keep the level at around 6, based on a CYA of 50. Does this burn off any chlorine faster then the 30 to 40 CYA level? I am around there. Thank you.

Question:

Assuming I burn off between 2 ppm - 3 ppm daily. Based on my coverage area I will need to add a certain amount of liquid chlorine. I am still only adding the same amount of liquid chlorine. Or do higher levels burn off faster? If so, then it would make sense to keep the CYA at the bottom of the range.

At a CYA of 30, the recommended range is 2 - 4. At 40, the recommended range is 3-5. What I am suggesting is to keep the level at around 6, based on a CYA of 50. Does this burn off any chlorine faster then the 30 to 40 CYA level? I am around there. Thank you.
First, the chart is a little deceiving as it is really not a range. It is a minimum, say 2 that you should never go below and a target say 4 that if you start there you should still be above the minimum at the end of the day. So, start at 4 and as the sun and organics consume the chlorine you should stay above 2 by the end of the day. Now, in some areas You may need to bump that target to 5 because you have no shade and the sun beats down on the pool all day. If you find your pool uses more than 2-3ppm per day it is an indication to raise your CYA a little.

Don't go way above the target FC, just account for your daily loss in your pool. A few days of testing should get you in a good range.

Question: Will a higher CYA level help in burning less TC during the day?

I have bumped up my daily additions to 2 ppm per day and will test in a few days to determine how much I am burning (without swimmer activity). The weather here in NJ is now hotter, which in turn the pool will consume more chlorine.

Sounds like youre actually in a pretty good place stability-wise with your pH. i'd just add the Borax and bump it up to 7.4 instantly and see how that holds over a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.