I'll Never Close Green Again.....

Jun 7, 2009
I'm so glad to see this thread again I could kiss ya'll. :)

I was a member a few years ago and this forum saved my life, not to mention thousands of dollars. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I had to close green last fall. Took the cover off 2 weeks ago (to see a lovely green swamp) and was getting ready to SLAM- and had to go out of town unexpectedly. Still had some 1-lb shock bags on the shelf in my basement- and my well-meaning (but pool-virgin) boyfriend "shocked it good" while I was gone to "help."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So here I am, day 3, and current test results: (TF-100 test kit)

FC 0.5
pH 7.2
TA- 120
CYA- 40

The pool water is a lovely light turquoise with about a 2-inch visibiity. Pump has been running 24/7 for three days and I am backwashing only when 30% over baseline. No equipment issues, I've gotten as many leaves off the bottom of the pool as my back can possibly handle, and am not currently working so I have all the time I need to get this pool clear.

My questions:

1. Because he started with dichlor, do I have to stick with it? Or can I switch to bleach? (I know that may be a stupid question, I apologize for my ignorance- I just don't want to proceed with SLAM until I know the appropriate action to take).
2. Whatever I use, do I start the SLAM process from here and keep going til clear?

I'm a little rusty on this method and am a little overwhelmed. I haven't had to deal with this for a few years because I've been on top of any problems that came up quickly. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys in advance
Jen :cool:

I agree with Jeff. Switch to bleach. Make sure you target the level of FC 16 which is shock level for a CYA of 40. Did you test for CC?

Welcome cack, I am sorry it is under these circumstances. Follow the SLAM exactly and you will be swimming in your crystal clear and sparking pool before you know it. Remember it takes time and you need to keep FC at shock level using bleach as much as possible. Lots of brushing and backwashing as needed.

Stick to bleach from now on. It doesn't have the add-ons, just chlorine.

Your pH is great and your CYA is only a tad high for the SLAM. You've dredged out the organic debris. You're ready. Jugs away!

attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.