Suction requirements of "The Poolcleaner" vs Kreepy Krauly

lalittle

Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone know how the suction requirements compare between the Poolvergnuegen "Poolcleaner" and the Kreepy Krauly Classic? I have a somewhat odd situation with my pool plumbing which uses a 1 inch line for the cleaner. I use a valve to adjust the skimmer so that enough water is pulled through the 1 inch line, but I need to reduce the skimmer quite a bit to achieve enough suction to properly run the KK. I would benefit from a cleaner that required as little suction as possible. I was looking at the "Poolcleaner" 4 wheel (or Aquanaut 400 -- same thing) as a possible alternative to my KK Classic due to the fact that the shape of my pool tends to cause the KK to repeat certain paths more than others. My concern, however, is how much suction the Poolcleaner will require to run effectively, and if it will be better, the same, or worse than my existing KK in this regard.

I'm also interested in general comparisons between the Poolcleaner/Aquanaut and the Kreepy Krauly Classic. The Aquanaut seems like it may cover the area more randomly and completely, but I like that the KK actually "rubs" the surface, which seems like it might be clean it a bit better.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi, no experience with this issue. But, it seems like a robot might be a better alternative. There are lots of robot threads here discussing the pros and cons. I was on sunplay.com last week and there was a pretty cool one on sale. Can't remember which one though.

A robot isn't practical for me. I don't have a main drain, so the suction cleaner is kind of necessary for general circulation. I also need something that I can leave in the pool at all times because I can't always be around to manage a robot. The suction cleaner is always in the pool when I'm not around, so it's constantly picking up debris and circulating whenever the pump goes on, even when I'm not around. All the water that cycles through the cleaner goes through the actual pool filter, so I'm getting extremely fine filtering that I wouldn't get with a robot or pressure side cleaner.

Thanks for the feedback,

L

I have a 4-wheel "the Poolcleaner". I run it by itself and only when the pool needs vacuuming. It requires 43 gpm to get it to run at the recommended 13 rpm. At higher rpm the cleaner climbs the walls and breeches the surface, sometimes causing pump prime loss.

Unfortunately I've never had a Kreepy Krauly so can't provide any data for comparison.

Thanks for the feedback.

Are you sure that 43 gpm is required? The manual for the Pentair version of this cleaner (the Rebel) lists 25 gpm as the correct amount of suction (same as the KK Classic), while the Hayward Aquanaut instructions say 35 gpm. I can't find any such specs for the original "Poolcleaner" versions. My pump does not give me this information anyway, so I'm not sure what my KK Classic actually uses in my pool. It seems like I need to do a direct comparison to see how the real world requirements compare, or find someone else who compared these units.

L

Most of Hayward's suction cleaners operate between 30-40 gpm. a 1" line is not going to give you much over 30gpm. Can't say for sure on your system.

The thing about the Aquanaut, however, is that it isn't really a "Hayward" cleaner -- it's actually a Poolvergnuegen "The Pool Cleaner." The Aquanaut does list 35gpm in the instructions, but the Pentair versions (i.e. the "Warrior" and the "Rebel"), which should be the exact same thing, list 25gpm. Somewhere in the middle of all this is the truth. It doesn't really matter what the "actual" gpm requirements are, however -- all that matters is how the Aquanaut/Poolcleaner compares to the Kreepy Krauly Classic. I kind of hate to buy one and just have to send it back if it needs more suction than the regular KK. The 1" line is a really annoying limitation, but it's what I'm stuck with.

L

Thanks for the feedback.

Are you sure that 43 gpm is required? The manual for the Pentair version of this cleaner (the Rebel) lists 25 gpm as the correct amount of suction (same as the KK Classic), while the Hayward Aquanaut instructions say 35 gpm. I can't find any such specs for the original "Poolcleaner" versions. My pump does not give me this information anyway, so I'm not sure what my KK Classic actually uses in my pool. It seems like I need to do a direct comparison to see how the real world requirements compare, or find someone else who compared these units.

L
I think I have a good calibration curve on my pump and, if so, the 43 gpm is correct at 13 rpm. It's closer to 35 gpm for 11 rpm. Mine is a 4-wheel Poolvergneugen which is heavier than the 2-wheel so likely needs more gpm to run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.