I've been challenged to a THROWDOWN ! ! !

Jun 21, 2008
Central MD
More of a friendly competition really. But a guy I work with has set up a challenge between myself and another avid bbq'er at work. The guy doing all the talking doesn't even know how to grill ! ! ! But that's OK, I'm flattered he's spending the effort just because he wants to eat my food. And it's all in good fun.

But the stakes are high- the loser has to eat a veggieburger.

So give me your best WOW 'em techniques and recipes. Right now I'm torn between beef brisket and BBQ Pork. Plan on doing the ABT recipe I saw here and maybe the pig candy too.

What else you guys got to save me from the TOFU?

If you really want to win, do the Pork using John Henrys Pecan Rub available at Barbeques Galore if you can find one. It was a secret ingredient (years ago) in winning a California State Championship by a friend of mine. Slow cook or smoked with this rub will be a big hit. :goodjob:

I think the other guy is doing ribs. Pulled pork is definitely big here- which is exactly why I think I'm leaning towards brisket. A little less common. And my co-workers have mostly already had several different versions of pulled pork.

I'll be cooking on my trusty Chargriller with offset smokebox.

How about chicken?
Take a bunch of chicken and boil it on the stove in water that has Old Bay in it (more is better !).
After the chicken is cooked and drained, coat it in BBQ sauce and throw it on the grill just long enough for the BBQ sauce to cook.

That's my secret recipe for Maryland style BBQ chicken.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Butterfly said:
wmshay6 ,Good luck with the Throwdown! :lol:

Hey Molson, how do you do 'burnt ends'? 8)

Molson said:
boiling and BBQ should never be in the same sentence.
What about crock pot? :p

Crock pot isn't BBQ... ;) heh

Burnt ends:

When the brisket is done, before foiling to rest, cut off the tip (its the fatty part, as opposed to the flat)

Cube up the tip and place in a foil pan, coat in sauce, you can sprinkle some rub on at this point if you wish). place back in smoker for 45-60 mins at 250. stirring occasionally to prevent burning. When tenderness and sauce viscosity is to your liking, remove and enjoy!!

you can see the burnt ends beside the slices in this pic:
normal_Canadian%20Open%20015.JPG

wmshay6 said:
...The guy doing all the talking doesn't even know how to grill ! ! ! But that's OK, I'm flattered he's spending the effort just because he wants to eat my food. And it's all in good fun.

But the stakes are high- the loser has to eat a veggieburger.
God help you if you lose, wmshay! With those apocalyptic stakes hanging over my head, I wouldn't waste my time blindsiding him - I'd go nuclear and SNOOK the sucker with an CFB bomb.

[youtube:2sd4ztsn]ZfbTO0GlONU[/youtube:2sd4ztsn]

We tried the chicken fried bacon at the TX state fair this year. My husband put BBQ sauce on it. He thought it was good- but then he's a real "red neck". I thought it tasted like salty fat fried in salty fat- kinda weird.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. My Hickory smoked brisket took first place!!! I got a second first place for the pig candy- thanks Molson!! I had some folks that normally keep Kosher eating BACON with that one!!!

I escaped the veggie burger for this time . . . .But folks are already gunning for me for next year!!

wmshay6 said:
Thanks for all the advice everyone. My Hickory smoked brisket took first place!!! I got a second first place for the pig candy- thanks Molson!! I had some folks that normally keep Kosher eating BACON with that one!!!

I escaped the veggie burger for this time . . . .But folks are already gunning for me for next year!!

Congrats! That gives you a full year to prepare and hone your skills. Try bacon wrapped quail bites with a slice of jalepeno and a wedge of your favorite cheese.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.