Weed Wacker help!

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
I hate weedeating with the fiery passion of a thousand suns! I especially hate that the line snaps off constantly! I seriously moved no more than 3" than the line snapped off again! I am constantly stopping, unplugging, pulling the spool out, re-threading it, and putting it all back together only to have it break again within seconds. Its making me crazy! It is a black and decker electric grass hog. Is there some trick to this that I am unaware off?

Go get an Echo and leave that electric stuff behind. If that's not an option, put the the thickest line that yours will take. The Echo line is really good stuff also. I used to use some red Shakespeare line, and it broke a lot even though it was thick. The Echo stuff doesn't break off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the Echo weedeater! Its a lot of weed eater, but man, I LOVE that thing. Starts easy every time, and you dont have to take off the spool to put on new line. Line up 2 arrows on the head, which lines up the hole on each side...poke the string through and even them out, and twist the head and it winds up the string. Easy Easy Easy, and it will flat out whack some weeds too!

Go get an Echo and leave that electric stuff behind. If that's not an option, put the the thickest line that yours will take. The Echo line is really good stuff also. I used to use some red Shakespeare line, and it broke a lot even though it was thick. The Echo stuff doesn't break off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there an Echo in here? :D

I fourth an Echo. I have one I bought 9 years ago, the GT-230. It has the "bump head" spring loaded spool. It is a great trimmer that has not let me down, ever. To go with that, the Echo Crossfire trimmer string/line they sell is good stuff too. My dad had an older Echo GT-2000 that he bought back around '97, and it's still doing well.

Nearly everything for yardwork I own, except for the lawnmower (Toro), is an Echo. I have the weed eater, the ES-250 leaf blower/vacuum, and the CS-400 chainsaw. Great quality. From what I know of Echo equipment, they are considered "prosumer", meaning the build quality of professional equipment, but marketed more towards residential consumers. Can't go wrong with an Echo, especially with the 5 year warranty on the new equipment.

Thicker line may help your weed eater, but be very careful doing that. My father in law used .155 size line on his weed eater that was designed for .105 max. Not only was the engine overloaded trying to swing the heavier line around, but he also broke the cable shaft, twice. He has since went back to the proper size line after repairs.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into getting an Echo. I finally got the darn thing to work long enough to finish edging the curbs and sidewalks. I have a corner lot so that is a lot of curbs and sidewalks! I bought an electric edger 2 years ago but it just can't handle those St Augustine runners.

I have had my srm-225 straight shaft for about 4 years. I change the plug and filter every year, and use the echo two stroke oil. Never had a second of trouble with it. The new heads they have on them are even easier than the one they put on mine. You put a piece of string through it so it sticks out each side an even length, then just twist it to load. I paid $230 for mine I think. Home Depot has picked them up, and they are on sale for $200 now.

You bet it'll get it done. With lots to spare. I have the srm 225. Its the same except with a straight shaft.

If you get one, I recommend to use 2 bottles of 2 stroke oil per gallon of gas. (even though instructions say use 1). And use only the good stuff. 93 octane. 87 will ruin that motor in short order.

The only thing I didnt like about it is the guard. The guard has a couple little blades on it and chops off the string so it dont get too long when you bump it. Drive me nuts...little pieces of string everwhere. Plus, the guard makes hard to see what you are whacking... but i took care of those problems pretty quick!

Do any of y'all think this GT 225 would have the oomph to get the job done?

- - - Updated - - -

we have excellent taste in weedeaters!

I have had my srm-225 straight shaft for about 4 years. I change the plug and filter every year, and use the echo two stroke oil. Never had a second of trouble with it. The new heads they have on them are even easier than the one they put on mine. You put a piece of string through it so it sticks out each side an even length, then just twist it to load. I paid $230 for mine I think. Home Depot has picked them up, and they are on sale for $200 now.

1 bottle (2.6 oz) to one gallon of gas (50:1 ratio), is plenty. Running two bottles of the oil will put the mix at 25:1 and have a lot more oil than needed. All of my Echo's and my outboard motors run nicely on 50:1, exactly what's specified for all of them. Older engines needed the heavier mix due to the plain/journal/bushing bearings. But modern equipment (since the 60's) with roller and/or ball bearings don't need so much oil. Plus, equipment these days have catalytic mufflers, extra oil would kill that pretty quick.

That 225 would do just fine, looks like a more modern version of my GT-230.

Concrete and fences (chain link and wooden), will eat string quickly if you aren't careful. Always be mindful of where the string tips are since they do the majority of the cutting.

I have a John Deere string trimmer I bought in 2007 and it's been just a beast, with nary a bit of trouble. I use non-ethanol gasoline in it and all my small engines, makes a tremendous difference and you don't have to worry about the fuel breaking down and fouling everything.

Do any of y'all think this GT 225 would have the oomph to get the job done?

It should work just fine. It has the same 21.2cc engine as my straight shaft. I'm not a fan of curved shafts, but to each his own. My previous trimmer was a 25cc homelite, and the echo with a smaller engine outperforms it incredibly. I just follow echo's recommendations: one bottle of oil to a gallon of regular unleaded for a 50:1 ratio. It supposed to be able to last two years with the stabilizer in the oil. I'm using gas left over from last year with no problem. I used mine for a couple years mowing commercially, then let it set for two years while I was renting and didn't need it, now it's back in service again. It starts in 3 pulls every time. Pump the bulb, turn the choke on, pull twice, turn choke off, pull once and it's running. Let it sit and idle for a minute to warm up, and take off. It will easily cut a full path through 5 inch grass. I've cut ditches that were over a foot tall. You just have to make two passes. They make a fantastic engine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.