3 inch tear in an Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool

Boujii

May 10, 2015
Cape May/New Jersey
Hello my new friends at TFP :wave:

I have here an Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool.

I put a pretty good tear in this thing and trying to figure the best way to handle it. The rip looks to be about 3 inches long.
It's not to bad on the width. Well at least it could be worse. It in the bottom just as the wall bends. But appears to be
completely on the bottom side. The material is pretty thick stuff. It's seems more like a flexible plastic rather vinyl. But hey,
what do i know lol.

My first plan was to sew it and then patch it. I've never been much of a sewer, let alone for a pool. But I'd be willing to make
an attempt. I was figuring on using some fishing line to do the job. But this might be all overkill and could possibly get away
with just a patch. This is a little bigger then the usual 16' intex pools available. It holds 10,472 gallons of water.

I have about a week before I planned on assembling it again. It's been down all winter. So I'd like to get a little input on the
best plan of attack for this repair. I have not yet bought anything for the repair. I was thinking of going with Boxer #100 Adhesive
since it will have plenty of time to dry. But I also have heard that regular PVC adhesive is no different. Can someone clarify that?
I do not have any extra material to make the patch so I will need to buy that as well. Any suggestions on this?

Basically just looking for the best way to get this done and figured the experts know more then me :)

This is a stock image.
k2-_a6a3058e-1903-464b-ac56-e62814729824.v1.jpg

This is the tear.
IMG_4332.JPG

IMG_4333.JPG

That is a pretty good size tear, not sure if you can fix that. How did that happen.
A very large patch is required for sure, sewing will not do anything except make for a bunch of pin holes, glue is needed. I also heard that PVC glue works, but I have yet to try it.

They make a Patch Kit for Vinyl pools. It is clear plastic and includes the glue to apply it. The material HAS to be clean and dry.....that's the single thing that is most important. Next most important is to be sure to get the edges and the corners glued well. I would cut the patching material rounded so there are no corners to deal with. Good luck with it.

To expound on what Dave is saying, I would make this a 3 layer patch meaning your first will cover It, your second is bigger than first and so on. With this being such a big tear, I'd do the same on the outside bottom of the pool too.

Thanks a bunch fellows. And that 3 layer sounds promising. I know it hold a lot of water and the pressure down there must be tremendous.
I'll give it a go over the weekend and let you know how I make out. I see hundreds of different brands of vinyl repair kits. Does anyone have
a preference? I do usually stick to the reviews of an item. But I don't believe this is just normal vinyl. It's considered a "hard" pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.