Hubby added cal hypo now water is cloudy

babsh

Aug 16, 2014
atlantta
I was away and DH thought he would help by adding cal hypo to shock the pool. I've returned and the water is milky blue- I think he added some clarifier- but he wont admit it :p
So heres my readings"
PH: 7.2
TA:100
CH: 10--
Cal: 180- I know this is low but I am adding a little calcium at a time.

Will the milky go away? Should I let it go away before I start the shock process again... using bleach this time!

What does a CH of 10-- mean? Is that suppose to be FC since I am guessing that Cal is supposed to be calcium (CH)?

What is your CYA?
What test kit are you using?

Sorry--- yes I meant FC of 10 and the CH is 180.

The CYA is 50- My pool is in full sun all day no trees. I thought I read that was a good number?
Im using the Lesley pool kit you all recommend for the PH, TA, CH, and CYA. I use a more specific test kit for the FC- I believe its a more specific chlorine test- tests high chlorine levels for shocking-again on that I saw recommended on here.

Last edited:
Ok sounds like you are in good shape as far as the test kit. If the cloudiness is just from the cal-hypo it should clear up. Usually that only happens at higher pH I thought.

Yes, I was in the middle of slamming pool..we had the start of algae issues..... had to leave for a day... bad timing... thats when hubby took over and used the cal hypo instead of bleach as I instructed.
hence my question... should I just let the milky go away first, before I start the slamming process again. I think I still have an algae issue... my FC is getting eaten up. I don't think I should wait... I'm basically "running on instruments" when I slam the pool. Just taking readings- not really basing on clarity... that make sense?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.