How do I start?

Neo337

May 10, 2015
Memphis, TN
I have lurked here for awhile but after switching our salt water pool to chlorine last year, and buying hundreds of dollars of chemicals this year to try and get the pool started, I am ready to start the TFP method.

I'm in the process of getting a good kit (Taylor k-2006, I believe) but until then what can I do to start the process? Here are the numbers I have (don't know how reliable they are):
FC-0
CC-0
CH-110
CYA-0 (this is what the site said, but my kit has no way to check)
TA-80
pH-6.8-7.0

They had me do the "green and clean" process, TWICE, but both times it has left the pool a cloudy blue (which is much better than it was, but not at all what was promised). I know that this site doesn't agree with it, but I did not know that at the time, and was just listening to the pool store. I'm done with them, but I need help on what to do next.

So I'm ready for the BBB method, but I don't know where to start, what chemicals to add when or in what order, any help would be appreciated! I have read the basics and the SLAM method, but just needed help with starting the process.

PS - I live in Memphis, TN and the pool is around 40,000 gallons, thanks in advance!

Welcome. Glad you have ordered a test kit.

The first thing is to get some bleach in there or to get your FC up. You also have 0 CYA so the sun is just going to eat up you FC.

Use pool math to determine how much Stablizer you need to add to bring your CYA up to 30.
Also use it to determine how much bleach you need to add to get at least 2ppm of FC

How does your water look?

- - - Updated - - -

I see now how your water looks. Sorry about that. Until your test kit arrives you cannot really SLAM but only keep FC in there and get your CYA up

Be wfuly sure you your cya is zero first. IF you add enough cya to raise to 30-----you should raise your FC to 4 instead of two. 2 is the MINIMUM level FC for that level of cya. Expect to burn off 2 ppm daily hence the target of 4. Raise your PH to 7.4 to 7.6 range FIRST! Be patient and wait for your test kit to arrive. Welcome to the forum.

Be wfuly sure you your cya is zero first. IF you add enough cya to raise to 30-----you should raise your FC to 4 instead of two. 2 is the MINIMUM level FC for that level of cya. Expect to burn off 2 ppm daily hence the target of 4. Raise your PH to 7.4 to 7.6 range FIRST! Be patient and wait for your test kit to arrive. Welcome to the forum.

Good call WoodyP I am sorry I totally missed that.

Welcome! :wave:

You came so close. If you had kept up the shocking, your pool might have cleared. That's the key. We call it Shock Level And Maintain. The M in SLAM is the key. Most pool stores go for the nuclear option, which can bleach liners and drive other chemistry levels way out of range. And as you can see for yourself, doesn't always work.

Anyway, glad to hear you're getting a proper test kit. There's no reason your pool can't be sparkling clear before Memorial Day.

I wouldn't trust the test results you have, except maybe pH. Even test strips usually get that one close. So... adjust the pH using Borax or Washing Soda or pH increaser, if you have any of that left from your pool store days. Check out Recommended Pool Chemicals in Pool School.

I wouldn't add any CYA yet, not knowing what it is now. You might end up overdosing it, which brings it's own problems.

If you add 2 ppm FC (That's about one 121 oz jug of 8.25% bleach in a pool your size) every day, it should keep things stable. It won't clear things, but it will keep things from getting worse. Once your test kit arrives, you can get a full set of accurate test results and we'll guide you through the rest of it. The tests aren't difficult. There's even How-to videos you can watch. It's the same stuff as the K-2006, don't let the TF100 business confuse you.

Thanks, you guys are awesome! I do have some soda ash left and I can get the pH up. Then I'll just add the bleach to keep the water from turning until the kit arrives, hopefully in the next couple of days. I still have some chemicals and clarifier I haven't used, should I just return that to the pool store and get some stabilizer since I will most likely need it for the CYA?

Thanks, you guys are awesome! I do have some soda ash left and I can get the pH up. Then I'll just add the bleach to keep the water from turning until the kit arrives, hopefully in the next couple of days. I still have some chemicals and clarifier I haven't used, should I just return that to the pool store and get some stabilizer since I will most likely need it for the CYA?
That depends on what the chemicals are and what your test results say. The clarifier will be unnecessary, the other stuff, who knows? Wait and see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I finally got my kit in and did all my tests along with updating my signature. Here are the results:
FC-0
CC-.5
CH-150
TA-90
CYA-0 (I could see the black dot all the way at the top of the tube)
pH-7.4

The Pool is fairly blue in the shallow end. I can see the bottom, with thin patches of like dusty dirt it looks like and is slightly cloudy. The deep end I can see maybe halfway down, it is a little brownish blue, and cloudier. I know I need to go get stabilizer and I can't backwash or test for a week, but can I add other things I need to the pool at the same time, or do I need to wait for the CYA to be where it should be? Thanks so much for all the help, I hoping to finally take control this season and be done with pool stores!

So I finally got my kit in and did all my tests along with updating my signature. Here are the results:
FC-0
CC-.5
CH-150
TA-90
CYA-0 (I could see the black dot all the way at the top of the tube)
pH-7.4

The Pool is fairly blue in the shallow end. I can see the bottom, with thin patches of like dusty dirt it looks like and is slightly cloudy. The deep end I can see maybe halfway down, it is a little brownish blue, and cloudier. I know I need to go get stabilizer and I can't backwash or test for a week, but can I add other things I need to the pool at the same time, or do I need to wait for the CYA to be where it should be? Thanks so much for all the help, I hoping to finally take control this season and be done with pool stores!

You will want to add granular Stablizer to a sock and either set it in the top of the skimmer or hang in front of the return jet. Target 30 for CYA.

Add bleach and target 2ppm for now and you can up that once You have some CYA

I got some stabilizer and it says I need around 11 lbs. Do I put almost all (maybe 10lbs) of stabilizer in socks and put them in each of my skimmers? Also once I do that, can I then add the bleach to up my chlorine again?

Ok, so I have the stabilizer in there and have the chlorine at around 2. Do I need to wait a week to SLAM, since I am not supposed to backwash and the stabilizer is still dissolving? Should I just try and keep the chlorine around 2 until I SLAM? There is a thin layer of dusty particles on the floor of the pool, should I brush that around daily, or wait and vacuum it after the stabilizer has dissolved? Sorry for all the questions but I really want to get this method down, and understand all the different parts of the TFPC method.

If the stabilizer is in a sock, there's no problem backwashing when you need to. If you followed someone else's instructions and poured the granules down the skimmer, they're now in the filter and backwashing will cause you to pump it all away. Literally money down the drain.

For the dust on the bottom, again, if the stabilizer is in a sock, go ahead and vacuum and backwash if you load up the filter. If you poured the stabilizer in loose, you're stalled.

If you did use socks, consider your CYA to be what you targeted and start the SLAM process, which includes brushing and vacuuming and backwashing as needed. If you didn't use socks, you need to wait a few days to do the vacuuming part, but you can still raise the FC to shock level.

Awesome! I did use a sock (3 to be exact) so I will try and start the SLAM process today. Should I vacuum up the stuff I see already, or just bring it up to shock level and brush? Also, how long should I leave the socks in the skimmers? Will all the stabilizer eventually dissolve away? This forum is the best, thanks for all the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.