How do I start?

Awesome! I did use a sock (3 to be exact) so I will try and start the SLAM process today. Should I vacuum up the stuff I see already, or just bring it up to shock level and brush? Also, how long should I leave the socks in the skimmers? Will all the stabilizer eventually dissolve away? This forum is the best, thanks for all the help!
The more stuff you get out of the water ahead of time, the less bleach it takes and the faster it goes. So vacuum it up, backwash if needed, and then jugs away!

The CYA granules will melt away and when the socks are empty, remove them. Don't bother checking CYA for a week, because it takes a while to show up on the test. Just figure that since you added it, it's in there.

So a quick update. It's been about a week of SLAMing, and it's looking better, but not there yet. We have been getting rain and I know that is not helping get rid of the algae. I ran out of reagent for chlorine for a couple days but ordered and just got it from the testkits site. Here are my numbers:
FC - 12.5
CC - 0
TA - 90
CH - 150
CYA - 35
I didn't do pH because I know it will be off do to the shock level. I have vacuumed a couple times and brush daily. It is bluish everywhere but the deep end which still has a little green color to it. Even the shallow end where I can see the bottom, the water looks dull/dirty, not green, but not sparkling. Should I just keep up the shock level? Should I add any DE to the filter to get the really small stuff, or just wait it out?
I am going out of town in a few days and wanted to have it ready before then because I won't be able to keep it up and test it daily so just looking for advice, thanks!

If it were me, I would raise the FC to at or slightly above SLAM level, put the solar cover on, turn the pump to recirc and hope for the best.

Better solution would be to find someone who could come by at least once a day and do the chlorine test and add bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.