Keeping leaf net on pool for winter?

ddpool

Jul 20, 2008
Minnesota
Well...it's that time (pretty soon). I was planning on doing the Micro Mesh cover for winter, however, that may not happen. I was wondering if you all could share your thoughts on just keeping my mesh leaf net on over the winter? Would that be a really bad idea? Any pros/cons of just using the mesh leaf cover? Thanks for any input...

I have a leaf net on mine right now. I remove it before the winter freeze. I also put it on in the spring when the maple trees drop their helicopters. I don't use a winter cover for my setup and preferences. Think it would not survive freezing and ice movement.

Thanks DaveNJ....tell me could I get by without a cover on over the winter months here? I wonder how much "stuff" the Micro Mesh covers would really stop? How dirty is your pool after winter without cover? Thanks

I don't get allot of stuff in the pool over winter. I open early now to keep algae growth done. First couple of years I didn't open early and had a real swamp, ducks, swamp smell. Took about 4 days of shocking, brushing, vacuuming, backwash to clear it up. I stayed on top of the shock etc.,. It takes about 3 days now, just not as much work.

The reasons I don't use a winter safety cover are:
Custom made for spa, swim out and other things.
Kool deck chips pretty easy, would look bad with all the anchors and chipped decking.
Weight of cover. I older I get the less umph I've got.
Cleaning/storage
No small children, dog won't go near the water.

I too am considering a leaf net only for the "leafy" parts of the year- fall leaves and spring tree bits. I am watching the leaves just get started out the window- not near my pool yet, but will be soon. I do not have trees directly over my pool, but we get high winds, so the trees near by will send their leaves my way.
I am currently not planning on covering for the winter, or even removing the pump and filter, but letting it run during the coldest part of the night to prevent freezing and leaving the pool "open" for the winter. Of course, this could change if we have more winter than usual.
With a big round pool like I an ddpool have, would the leaf cover drape into the water some, at least in the middle? Obviously, it would still catch leaves, but how hard will it be to get them out? Do you have to drag the whole cover out, do you scoop them off the leaf cover, or how do you clean them up while the fall is in progress?

Thanks, I ordered my leaf net today and will put it on shortly- already getting a few leaves in the pool. Fall takes forever to start here, but once it does, WHAM! All the leaves come down in a matter of days. I could see where daily "leaf-fishing" could get real old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.