dished with styrofoam

br1ght

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 18, 2014
International Falls, MN
hi all, I am replacing my 21' Pro Series Intex style pool with a 27' AG. I'm dishing out the center down 1'... this will be a gradual slope starting 2 1/2' in from the walls... I have a gorilla pad and styrofoam cove that came with the pool package.

My question is, I really like the idea of running an inch of styrofoam as a bottom to help insulate the water from our very cold soil temps (I'm in coldest part of the country -Northern Minnesota-my gas bill was insane heating ~1/2 the water volume ) , has anyone installed styrofoam with a dished out bottom? my wife asked me me how will the styrofoam confirm the curved bottom and I don't know...

In Toronto Canada area myself. Years ago when my father installed our 24' round AG we used a good amount of sand to help maintain slope, comfort and temp. No heater, just a solar blanket and we had a good swim season from Mid May until early Sept.

Good luck with your build.

Hi Carpenter, I used to commute to T.O. from the "Banana Belt".(Stoney Creek area),... You are so fortunate for swim weather... Our daily highs here top out at ~30 and most nights drop down to 5-11(for those going WT F , that's 85 day and 42-52 night in deg F)... And our frost line is 2.5 m (that's about 8 ft)... So as you could imagine the ground is always conducting lots of COLD...

I have 100,000 (80 kbtu true output) nat gas heater and last year it ran 18-20 hrs most days with a 9000 gal pool... Now I'm doubling my size with the same heater! I'd add rooftop solar but local codes frown on it (I think we are a couple years and a hand full of grievances before the fight for approval will be eased )...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.