Return Line Size for AGP

Sep 13, 2011
Omaha, NE
I had read the threads on line sizing and head loss pressure and I just can not seem to wrap my head around it and loose myself in the material.

Here is my thought, right now I have 1.5" suction and return PVC piping. When my pump is on high speed, I get a very fine slit in bottom of pool, when in low speed, no silt. If I increase the return side piping to 2", will this reduce the pressure coming from the filter that is pushing the fine silt through? Also, if I remove my "eye" on the return in the pool, I do not get the silt. I want to be able to have the return eye in while on high speed without the silt!!

Your filter and your pump appear to be about the right size. Typically, you will never see ANY debris from a system that is properly matched. I would suspect the laterals inside you filter may have a hole in them that is allowing debris through.

I am still thinking about the eyeball dilemma and can't understand if that should have an effect but apparently it does.

No eyeball in let's the water run at full bore (less restriction) and is bound to reduce any back pressure on that line? When I run on low speed, in order to create more "flow"-----I screw in a reduced sized eyeball.

How far is your pipe run from the filter back to the pool?

I am not at home right now, will have to measure it, but it around a 6' to 7'. That was my question in the original post, if putting in the 2" PVC would reduce the pressure at the eye?, so I can run full speed when vacuuming, etc....

That was my question in the original post, if putting in the 2" PVC would reduce the pressure at the eye?, so I can run full speed when vacuuming, etc.
.Not appreciably. The "pressure" or resistance on the pressure side of the system is produced mostly by the filter. All components of the pressure side provide some resistance but changing from 2" to 1.5" will have negligible effect.

If you remove the eye, your pressure drops. With less total pressure, I suppose it might affect the leak of silt.

That said, that silt leaking indicates damage (probably in the laterals) and, if that is fixed, your silt should disappear.

What is your current psi?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.