URGENT! Motor is screaming and I am about to!

mmalka

May 6, 2015
FL
In the last few days, the motor of my pump started to scream something like "oooooo" that is getting louder and louder.
Based on the fact that it is also leaking a little bit of water and there is salt around the bolts, I would assume that a seal went bad and caused water to get into the bearing and they are now screaming for a replacement.
The pump is Jandy FloPro 1 HP model FHPM (single speed). The original motor model is R0479311. I have a salt water chlorinator and solar panels on the roof (single story house). I have no idea of the age of the pump and motor, as I recently bought the house.
I did some research and found a site that sells a bearing and shaft seal kit for $50 and it seems I would also have to buy a bearing puller for $40. The advantage is that I would spend just $90. The disadvantage is that I've never done anything like this and I am not sure if I would face any difficulty.
At Leslie's, they said that if I brought my motor they would sell me a replacement (likely not the OEM), with one year warranty for about about $220 plus $30 for a seal, plus tax. The advantage is that it would be a simpler disassembly/assembly and the warranty. The disadvantage is of course the cost.
I also found a few replacement motors on the web made by Century A.O. Smith for about $190. The advantage of course is the price, but I am not sure if it is indeed a like for like replacement and I wonder about the quality as it seems much cheaper than the OEM.

That said, my questions are:
1- Is it difficult for a newbie to replace the bearings and seals?
2- What are the replacement brands and models I could buy besides the OEM? Any suggestions of a website reliable with good prices?
3- What would you recommend and why?

As I will be out of town next week, for now I am reducing the pump hours from 8/day to 4/day and closed the valves to the solar panels, assuming this will give the pump a break (no pun intended).
Thank you!

The longer it runs in this condition the greater chance will be it won't be rebuild-able. Like a machine lathe, the bearing will eventually cut a groove in its housing or machine a groove in the shaft as well. My best case scenario is you keep a spare for this, for quick and easy change out.

A.O. Smith is a good and reliable brand, their products are robust.

None of the pool companies make their own motors, they tend to buy from AO Smith, Emerson, and a few others, the only difference in the OEM motor will be the color of the paint. In general I would suggest you change out the single speed motor for a 2 speed which you can run on low and save power when solar is not needed.

None of the pool companies make their own motors, they tend to buy from AO Smith, Emerson, and a few others, the only difference in the OEM motor will be the color of the paint. In general I would suggest you change out the single speed motor for a 2 speed which you can run on low and save power when solar is not needed.

Can I replace a one speed motor for a 2 speed without having to replace anything else?
Thanks

Yes as long as the high speed is rated at 1hp you can replace with a 2 speed. For your pump I would look at at B2982 or a B2982T.

Thank you for your fast reply. Sorry, just one more question: would I be better off replacing the 1 HP motor with a 1.5 HP motor? The installer of the solar panels said my 1 HP was fine, but the guy at the pool store (which may just be willing to sell) told me that with the panels I would be better of with a more powerful motor, but he wrongly said that in order to put a more powerful motor I would have to replace the impeller and other stuff.

I just want to make sure I spend wisely.

Yes technically you can add a bigger motor ie 1.5HP. If you want to bump up to a B2983 or B2983T 1.5 HP motor you will have to change these 2 items.

1. Zodiac R0479701 1.5 - 2.5-HP Diffuser
2. Zodiac R0479603 1.5-HP Impeller

But with a bigger motor comes higher electric bill.

I guess I will stick to the 1 HP then. Would I need to buy any seals if replacing like for like?
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. This is an amazing forum. By the way, best price I found so far was at Amazon (and free shipping for Prime). Would never imagine...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You would need a seal. I get my motors from electric pump warehouse usually they have the best prices. For 90 bucks for bearing and tool, I would just buy the motor. Its enough of a pain to change the motor because guaranteed something won't go as planned. The first time I changed my motor the bolts stripped holding the motor to the seal plate. I had to buy a new seal plate and new bolts. Cost shot up dramatically. I can only imagine the hassle of trying to swap out bearings.

As for the two speed, people are right, that likely would save on electric assuming you aren't needing to run at the high speed all the time, but then you will need to install some type of switch to switch between them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.