Bonding and Corrosion

Jun 26, 2011
Ok, I have a Pool Pilot 75003 Chlorine Generator. I started it today and I am getting a Low Flow, so I checked all the usual issues that can hurt flow and all are ok. I took the cover off the Pool Pilot and noticed that the 838N, 75003 Interface Board on the bottom was very corroded, the board itself the traces, especially the traces and wires that connect to the tri-sensor.

I then noticed that there is a bonding lug and the unit is NOT bonded. I looked at the installation manual and found that the unit should be bonded to the pools bonding wire.

1) Can the lack of bonding to the pool pilot cause corrosion to occur within the pool pilot?

2) I have not done any testing of the tri-sensor yet but I have a lot of green corrosion on the tri sensor plug connector. In the old days on car I used to mix up baking soda and water and pour it on the battery and it cleaned the corrosion right off. Do you think a baking soda solution will clean the corrosion off the connectors?

Thank you, Mike

1. Apparently. I have a new swg en route, and I will make sure it is bonded. The previous one wasn't, and I didn't notice any corrosion.

2. I can't imagine baking soda and water will hurt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, i will get the copper and bond mine also. My communication board is badly corroded with green corrosion and the 6 pin on board connector was green corroded.

I removed the board and cleaned it with a baking soda solution and it cleaned the board up nicely no more green. I will do the same with the plug pins and keep my fingers crossed that it works. Note that it is necessary to tighten the pins in the plug by spreading the pins a bit with a thin blade so they make better contact. Ill post the results.

Ok the low flow was caused by green corrosion in the box side of the 6 pin tri-sensor connector. Soaking the board in baking soda cleaned it up nicely but I was unable to clean those connectors well. I cleaned the 6 box side connectors using contact cleaner and a 1/16 inch drill bit. Moving the drill bit in and out of the connector scraping the sidewalls dislodged the green corrosion. This was done by hand not using a drill. Put the board back in and the low flow light was off. I was able to test through this connector using an ohm meter and a spare 6 pin connector from an old trisensor.

Question what do you think about using dielectric grease on the 6 pins to keep the moisture out?

Moran expert on this, but bonding is typically for safety of stray voltage. Usually very minimal voltage, but enough to cause issues. First discovered on farms where cows were now producing milk because of the minimal shock.
With that said, stray voltage and lack of good grounds and bonds can do crazy things. I once had a customer who had to copper water mains replaced in 3 years because of pin holes, tons, the stray voltage was going to the water ground then leave ing into earth. The solution was addition ground rods And finding the circuit that had the stray voltage. A lot of times it's the neutral conductor in contact with a ground, after sub panels, where they land separately. Bond the unit and check all
Your connections for anything that might have a run Mark on the wires or such.
I worked with an engineer out of CA that does supper high end stage setups and bands for Capital Records. He would explain it and everyone's heads would spin... But it is a possible reason. Weather is another.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.