Calculating Volume in a customr shaped pool

May 9, 2015
San Diego, CA
I am in need of help calculating the volume in our custom shaped pool here at the hotel I work for. I've calculated it myself but it was a real pain to do so and I am not supremely confident in my math. The pool & hotel are going on 25 years old and past stated volumes I've found in the records seem suspect and there are several different #s so the only way to know for sure is to recalculate it. I've attached a drawing I did showing the shape and measurements I made myself. Can anyone calculate it and tell me what you get so I can compare it to what I got?

I appreciate any help you can provide!

Mark

Pool Measurements Pic.jpg

The easiest way to calculate is by using a fas-dpd test. Using a 25ml sample you can test to within .2 ppm. Make a chlorine addition using pool math here, estimating your gallons, from what you got to a target number.............retest...........and see if it is high or low. You can get within 500-1000 gallons or so which is close enough.

The easiest way to calculate is by using a fas-dpd test. Using a 25ml sample you can test to within .2 ppm. Make a chlorine addition using pool math here, estimating your gallons, from what you got to a target number.............retest...........and see if it is high or low. You can get within 500-1000 gallons or so which is close enough.

You can calculate pool volume(total gallons) with a DPD test? I've never heard about that. Are we talking about the same thing or is it possible you misunderstood my question?

I see about 68000 gallons breaking it up into circles and rectangles and half-circles. You did an excellent job with the scale. I used paintshop to draw the circles and the relative dimensions were darn close!

What Woody is talking about is using poolmath. If you plug in 68000 and go about treating the chemistry that way, it shouldn't take long to see if you're overshooting or undershooting consistently. That applies to everything. Not just chlorine, but also TA & pH. Between the calculator and Effects of Adding Chemicals down at the bottom, within a few additions you should know roughly how much you're over or underdosing. So you adjust the volume at the top of poolmath up or down. Just keep raising or lowering the volume until you get it bracketed and then narrow the gap. It will take a while, but the point comes when you hit your target every single time you add something. That's when you know the volume.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.