Newbie Got her test kit, opened pool and has some test results to discuss.

Bevly

Apr 29, 2015
Wheelersburg, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pools open and all equipment functioning just fine. The deep end turned out to be 8' so I changed that in my description, Shallow is 3". So for this oval pool it should be calculated somewhere in between the shallow to the deep, by the divide by 2 rule and would be somewhere around 21,600 gallons~ I think.
Used the new test kit, got the XL size with the magnetic stirrer and I like using all of it and found the testing to be easy to understand going with the step by step laminated instructions. Thanks so much.
Now there was no chlorine. TA was 130. PH was 7.2 and CYA was 20. I put a 4 lb. by weight tub of CYA into a skimmer sock into the skimmer. That took up most of the room in there. I use the pool math calc. and think I need to add a total of 87 ounces. My question is since my pool is in the full sun from dusk to dawn, should I shoot for the higher range CYA at this point of the game or above 50ppm then wait a week to test CYA ? Thank u in advance for a reply.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool is in Full Sun from sun up to sundown~Sorry

Shoot for 50 for now and get some chlorine in there with urgency.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing you need 200 ounces of 8.25% bleach to get it at maintenance.....asap. Pool math will give you the exact amount and is in my signature.

Do I Need to raise my CYA before adding Chlorine Bleach. I just opened my pool today. It is now nearing sundown. There is O chlorine and I am still adding CYA through the skimmer basket. I thought I had to get my CYA up to even hold the chlorine before adding it. Looking for advise,

Do I Need to raise my CYA before adding Chlorine Bleach. I just opened my pool today. It is now nearing sundown. There is O chlorine and I am still adding CYA through the skimmer basket. I thought I had to get my CYA up to even hold the chlorine before adding it. Looking for advise,
Now is the perfect time to add some bleach. The sunlight won't steal any of it. If there are any nasties in the water, the bleach can work on it all night long. Just be sure to let it mix well before you shut off the pump. And if you do shut off the pump, set the sock in a plastic bucket. Otherwise things get too acidic in the skimmer. Drop it back in when the pump goes on again in the morning.

Do you agree to the above 200 ounces? I can not get the pool math to equal that amount, but I have it on hand.. No nasties. The pool is clean and vacuumed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I read here that u should let the pump run for 24 hours after adding cya and I still have more to add yet to meet the suggested calculation. I can't figure out the math on the bleach calculation for the amount to add, so if you can, please feel free to suggest. Thank you for your reply.

Do you agree to the above 200 ounces? I can not get the pool math to equal that amount, but I have it on hand.. No nasties. The pool is clean and vacuumed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I read here that u should let the pump run for 24 hours after adding cya and I still have more to add yet to meet the suggested calculation. I can't figure out the math on the bleach calculation for the amount to add, so if you can, please feel free to suggest. Thank you for your reply.
Not all the nasties in the water are visible to the naked eye. Using poolmath, 4 lbs of granules will raise CYA by 22. So if all your stuff was dissolved, you'll have 42. Which means a target of 5 FC. 21600 gallon pool from 0 to 5 FC calls for 163 oz of 8.25% bleach. But all the stabilizer isn't dissolved yet, so you could probably get by with just a single jug. Just remember, you'll lose it tomorrow and the CYA will be higher, so you'll need to add more again tomorrow. The pool needs feeding every day.

You say the water is clear, so you aren't performing the SLAM, so there's no good reason to run the pump all night long unless you're in a huge hurry. Sure, the CYA will dissolve faster if there's water rushing past it 24 hours a day, but personally I'd shut the noisy powerhog off and set the sock in a bucket while I sleep. Drop it back in the skimmer when you turn the pump on again, scoop up some pool water to rinse the bucket, and pour it in the skimmer. Takes longer to type it than to do it.

somehow you are making a mistake in Pool Math. Maybe this will help.

In top left corner, enter your Volume of gallons. Thats the first thing that needs to be correct.
In the boxes on the far left. Enter your test result
In the box to the right of it, Enter your target
Click calculate button

In some of the categories, there are drop down menu's and you need to select the chemical and concentration. For example, for FC, there is a box by % Bleach. Bleach comes typically in 3 strengths. 3,6, and 8.25%. You need to enter the correct strength in order to get the correct amount to add.

You might also want to revisit your pool volume calculation. If you are 8 on the deep end and 3 on the shallow end, then your average depth is (8+3)/2 = 5.5 avg depth 18x46x5.5 Oval > Pool Math volume calculator says you have 23,800.

The pool volume calculator as DivinDave stated has been corrected now to 23,800 based on an average depth of 5.5 ft. Thank you.
Finished adding the rest of the stabilizer to the skimmer sock at 5am. Total CYA added was 87 ounces.
8.25% bleach added was 242 ounces just to finish off two jugs at 121 oz.each. I ran the pump all night as I didn't get back to read the posts here.
Test results this morning with the TF100 test kit.
FC=01.5/ CC=0.5/the TC=2.0\the TA=140/the CYA=30/ Ph/7.2
Looks REAL good this morning~Water temp. at 62! Full sunshine all day~
Now, need to find more targets and figure out what's on the pool schedule next. Thank you all~

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for posting. This was my first time opening my pool. I get the pool math and chemistry now, but not sure the when and what's about adding the different products. You know, you read here the CYA test after adding, may not register for a week, so a bit confusing when you still need to add more CYA to get to the target.Shall I wait I ask myself or continue to run pump and add. Then, of course I could get the TA up a little, but shall I concern myself with that now and add or not. Then, my Chlorine needs to be up, but shall I wait for sundown to add it. These are some of my issues. I am just trying to get the little things ironed out for using the TFP method correctly. I went by the Opening Your Winterized Pool article at Pool School. I am learning and thank everyone for the assistance in learning the ropes here. Good day to all~

Your CYA is already at 30 (within recommended levels). Wait the week, retest, then add more if needed.

Your FC is 1.5 (below recommended levels). Add bleach now to raise it to recommended target. No need to wait until sundown. You should ensure that FC never falls below recommended minimum.

Your TA is 140 (above recommended levels). Not sure why you think you need to raise it.

If you have any form of aeration (fountain, waterfall) in your pool, pH will rise due to the aeration. A pH of 7.2 isn't bad for now, so suggest you monitor it over a few days to see if there is any upward trend.

Chlorine must be maintained above the minimum for your CYA at all times. No question. Or algae will grow. PH is also important to keep between 7.2 and 7.8. The only exception is if FC is above 10, then the PH test will read incorrectly high.

TA, CYA AND CH can be finessed a little and are not as critical day to day. As long as you are in the range or close and moving in the right direction.

Thank you too . Added 121 ounce 8.25% BLEACH this pm, checked Chlorine about 5:30 pm. with the TF100. Results were FC 5.5ppm, CC were 0(none) clear. The TC therefore 5.5ppm. Will keep the FC in check above the minimum as you stated for the cya. Will run all tests again tomorrow to keep me on my toes. This is spelling RELIEF to me. First time pool owner last year. It's a great feeling to be learning how to tend to our pool by using the right tools. Thank you TFP and all the great folks here!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.