Mustard Algae and very low CYA?

Dec 17, 2013
DFW Area
Hi,

I neglected my pool for a bit and now I seem to have mustard algae.

My Readings:
FC - 7.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 75
CH - 550
CYA - Less then 30

How can you test what your CYA truly is when the test only goes to a minimum of 30? Should I ignore CYA for now and shock for mustard algae?

Yesterday I used 4 packets of shock which probably didn't help my CH. Ugh!!

Also, we have been having rain almost everyday for the past few weeks so its been hard to keep up with FC.

Are these numbers from one of the recommended test kits?

No more powder shock for you. You say your CYA is less than 30. Try putting info in pool math and shoot for a target of 30. Add granular Stablizer to a sock and set it in your skimmer or tie it in front of a return jet. Since we don't know how below 30 you are then only do 1/2 of the recommended amount.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you add the stablizer do not back wash for at least 48 hours. Right now set your target for 10ppm FC and keep it there the best you can.

Hi,

I neglected my pool for a bit and now I seem to have mustard algae.

My Readings:
FC - 7.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 75
CH - 550
CYA - Less then 30

How can you test what your CYA truly is when the test only goes to a minimum of 30? Should I ignore CYA for now and shock for mustard algae?

Yesterday I used 4 packets of shock which probably didn't help my CH. Ugh!!

Also, we have been having rain almost everyday for the past few weeks so its been hard to keep up with FC.
Are you sure the "shock" was Cal-hypo? Sometimes it's Dichlor or Trichlor, which add CYA and lower pH.

If the CYA sample gets cloudy but the dot never goes away completely, you have some CYA. Make your best guess and use that as the Now and add enough stabilizer to get to 30. Then go ahead and consider your CYA to be 30 already as it's dissolving and start the SLAM process. When you pass the three tests, then take it up to Mustard shock level for 24 hours. By the time that's all done and the FC has drifted down to below 10 where you can run all the tests again, you should have a decent CYA reading and can continue to raise it to whatever you need.

Are these numbers from one of the recommended test kits?

No more powder shock for you. You say your CYA is less than 30. Try putting info in pool math and shoot for a target of 30. Add granular Stablizer to a sock and set it in your skimmer or tie it in front of a return jet. Since we don't know how below 30 you are then only do 1/2 of the recommended amount.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you add the stablizer do not back wash for at least 48 hours. Right now set your target for 10ppm FC and keep it there the best you can.

Yes, the test kit I use is the Taylor K-2006.

Thanks for the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure the "shock" was Cal-hypo? Sometimes it's Dichlor or Trichlor, which add CYA and lower pH.

If the CYA sample gets cloudy but the dot never goes away completely, you have some CYA. Make your best guess and use that as the Now and add enough stabilizer to get to 30. Then go ahead and consider your CYA to be 30 already as it's dissolving and start the SLAM process. When you pass the three tests, then take it up to Mustard shock level for 24 hours. By the time that's all done and the FC has drifted down to below 10 where you can run all the tests again, you should have a decent CYA reading and can continue to raise it to whatever you need.

Yes, the shock was 58% Cal-hypo. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.