Water is not clear

May 1, 2015
Northbrook, IL
Hi,

I opened up my pool two weeks ago and I'm struggling to get my pool crystal clear.
I can see the bottom on the shallow end (3 ft) and even the middle section, but I can't see the bottom of the deep end(9 ft).
Here are my readings from my T100 test kit.

FC - 3.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 4
PH = 7.5
TA = 90
CH = 100
CYA = 30

These numbers look good based on the reference charts. You guys have any suggestions for me?
Thanks.

Are these your readings directly after opening the pool, or have you adjusted them at all?

I bet is that FC was low when you opened it and the sunlight caused the algae to grow. If its already growing enough to have cloudy water, then maintaining a recommended FC level is not going to stop it.

If you cant see the bottom of the pool, then clearly either something (algae) is growing in the water, or calcium has precipitated, which is pretty much an impossibility with CH of 100.

I recommend you SLAM the pool until its crystal clear, and after that, maintain the recommended levels.

Is your filter running at the correct psi? I assume you have backwashed, right?

AZgirl and Divin'Dave have it covered, I think. If you are sure you are filtering and vacuuming and brushing properly, then SlAMming your pool will likely result in a very quick completion to crystal clear. Make sure you follow the SLAM right on through to the OCLT. Post back if you need assistance.

That's Shock Level And Maintain. The M is the key. Click the image for the How-to.

A couple megadoses of bleach spaced a few days apart isn't going to fix things. It would be like getting a prescription for antibiotics and gulping the whole bottle at once, rather than taking a pill every four hours until they're gone. And like antibiotics, you have to keep it up even after the worst symptoms have disappeared.

That's Shock Level And Maintain. The M is the key. Click the image for the How-to.

A couple megadoses of bleach spaced a few days apart isn't going to fix things. It would be like getting a prescription for antibiotics and gulping the whole bottle at once, rather than taking a pill every four hours until they're gone. And like antibiotics, you have to keep it up even after the worst symptoms have disappeared.

Ok I'll try to maintain it because when they first opened the pool then threw in 8 gallons. I waited a couple days then threw in another 8 gallons.
Then two more days and I threw in 12 gallons. Then realized my FC was up to 22, so left it alone for 3-4 days.
Now that I have my kit I'll keep it at the SLAM level.

Thanks for the help.

I have one more question for my knowledge on maintaining pools.
After I tested that my FC was 22, I let the sun take its course to lower the FC a bit.
One of those nights I decided to do a over night FC test. I tested after sun down my FC
and then tested again first thing in the morning and the Difference in FC was 1.0.
So I thought my pool was free of anything that can be eating up my FC.
But clearly these something in my pool to keep me from seeing the bottom of the deep end.?????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello, is this pool new to you? I am local too in the chicago area. For whatever reason, this was a "dirty" winter. My pool was hazy/cloudy on opending. It tool about 48 hours of continuous filtering with DE added and multiple backwashed to get whatever it was out. First half day I was backwashing every 2-3 hours. I did not neet to SLAM this spring, but I also opend 2nd week of April when the water was too cold to support life.
There is a pool school article on adding DE - it might help you assuming that you pass the tests. If you are loosing Chlorine overnight you have issues other than just finely suspended junk in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.