Just got solar not sure about auto pump

May 25, 2012
Syracuse, NY
We just had a solar panel system put in, the thermal panels that water goes through, not the home solar panels. It has an automatic valve and all that, but I have to manually turn on the pool pump for circulation into the system. This doesn't seem optimum to me. Am I right in thinking I need an automatic timer for the pump to kick on and off? Would I just set the automatic timers to go on during the high sun hours while I'm at work then kick it off in the afternoon? Or is there something I should look into that connects to the solar controls that turns the pump on when the solar thermometer tells the solar system to be in use? I don't understand how this should be working.

The GL-235 controller you have will support both pump control by timer operation, as well as pump override application depending on how it is connected, all you need is a timer.

timer control operation means you will only get solar heat if the controller sees heat is needed and available while the pump is running on timer

timer override control means the GL-235 can bypass the timer and turn on the pump any time heat is needed from the panel and heat is available.

For most basic timer systems we tend to suggest Intermatic brand mechanical timers, they are rugged and are not prone to being zapped by power surges like the digital timers are.

With basic Intermatic brand mechanical timer, I can do either way (time/timer override) or would I need a different timer depending on what I want to do? Realistically I'm not sure I'd need override if I just let it run while I'm at work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.