Using Tricolor to Raise CYA?

CGM

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2014
Frankfort KY
Hello all!
This is the first question the search bar has failed me on, so here it goes:
If my CYA is low, and I am using Trichlor to raise both FC and CYA, does the CYA reading happen quickly, or is it the same week long wait as if I had hung the stabilizer in the return with the sock method?
PH 7.7
FC 1 (oops) CC .5
TA 90
CH 160
CYA 20
Borate 30?
salt 780

Added 14oz of Trichlor after this reading. Pool math says that should raise the CYA by 3.1

So I am guessing by adding another 28oz of Tricolor, as the FC needs to be raised, I will then be at a CYA of 30.

I ask, because I have added Tricolor a couple of times, and I don't see the CYA increase PoolMath says I should see. My notes say I added 40oz of Tricolor on 4/18 when I had a cya of 25.:confused:

It can take some type, Chemgeek has posted the chemcial process before and it does involve multiple steps, but I have not seen a timeline on how this compares to dry CYA. Are you sure you don't have a water leak which may be lowering your CYA through dilution from fill water?

First, I will say that pucks are generally not the best way to raise CYA. It is most always more precise to add the CYA seperately in a measured dose.

That said, the CYA will register on your tests once the pucks are dissolved.

You can use Pool Math to determine just what each puck would do to your water balance. I sometimes use them so I have written on the top of the container just what each puck will do in my volume of water.

In my case:
Trichlor
1 puck = 7.2 oz.
FC +2.5
CYA +1.5
pH -.14
salt +2.1

I think I am messing up the respond thing, sorry guys.
I do have some pucks that I have slated to keep snakes out of my wood pile.
The Triclor is from a purchase I made before I found TFP.:lovetfp:
My PH is trying to creep up due to being covered I think. Either way, the change in PH from the Trichlor is ok in this case.
I have some of the CYA Granules, I put in a bottle and a half last year because I did not realize how long it would take to dissolve. Also before I found TFP.
Did i mention I love TFP?
It is great to know if I find something mundane, or truly weird someone else has seen it or heard of it, and i can avoid it.
Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.