midtngal's noisy pump

Happy to hear Pentair was easy to deal with!

Ditto what waste said. We'll race to see who can answer first. :-D

One thing to be aware of before you get going: The impeller screw (part 10 in your diagram) is reverse-threaded. That's a fun one to figure out in the field.

Enjoy!

Tim CONGRATS ON BECOMING A SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR!! you know your stuff and are certainly worthy of it :goodjob:

Thanks for the offer to 'race', but I already have a couple posts out there on replacing motors (or shaft seals) :p - besides, it doesn't matter who answers first, just as long as Karen (or any other poster) get's her pump fixed :wink: 8)

I imagine we'll be seeing a good bit of each other :thumleft: (I still want to talk to you 1:1 but couldn't get my PM to work this PM :lol: )

Karen, between us all - we'll get you all set :-D

Awwww.... I LOVE YOU GUYS!! :wink: :-D :wink:

We'll start this horse race shortly I hope! If I get it in the next couple of days, it'll be the weekend before I attempt it. It's going to be warmer then too! 43 right now! Brrrr......

Karen

waste said:
Tim CONGRATS ON BECOMING A SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR!! you know your stuff and are certainly worthy of it :goodjob:

Thanks for the offer to 'race', but I already have a couple posts out there on replacing motors (or shaft seals) :p - besides, it doesn't matter who answers first, just as long as Karen (or any other poster) get's her pump fixed :wink: 8)

I imagine we'll be seeing a good bit of each other :thumleft: (I still want to talk to you 1:1 but couldn't get my PM to work this PM :lol: )

Karen, between us all - we'll get you all set :-D

I'm so gonna win this race. :mrgreen:

Tim, I wish you well with the 'race' but most of what needs be said is already in this post which is actually where this current thread began :mrgreen: (I was there before the question even came up here :p )

Run fast, post quickly :wink: :goodjob:

Again, this is all about Karen's problem (if we can have a little fun that's cool :) ) -in the end, all that matters is that Karen's pump shuts up :)

gtm said:
spishex said:
I'm so gonna win this race. :mrgreen:
I thought that avatar of yours was an ostrich, but now I see it's a banty. Ted's gonna "waste" you!

Sorry, Tim, but I have to put a 2 cents worth bet on one of the first guys to welcome me here! No offense intended, as I've been loving reading your stuff.

Yeah, I think he might have me based on previous posts alone but you gotta keep yourself psyched up, you know? :wink:

And thanks, Ted! You're absolutely right. With our powers combined...

Okay...got the pump today. I have taken it out and looked it over next to the old one. It looks to be fairly straightforward....unplug this, plug back in that.

It is Margaritaville Friday so I'm getting ready to leave for a few hours. Just wanted to know if there was anything I need to know ahead of time. I will get to it tomorrow.

Happy Halloween!!

Well, did ya'll have a little too much Halloween??????? :shock: :shock:

I have installed the pump! And so far it looks like I did it right!! :lol:

We shall see when the weather cools off again!

so....sorry...YA BOTH LOST!! :whip: :mrgreen:

:poke: :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Karen, GLAD YOU GOT IT FIXED!!! (with or without our help 8) )

You were right about 'over Halloweening it' :oops: We got a short day on Friday (we were supposed to put up, square, raise, plumb and pour the retaining collar on a new 20 X 40 irregular pool) the boss showed up at 200 and said he had cancelled the concrete and that we had a mandatory 'safety meeting' at his house :wink: When I logged on @ 930, I quickly realized that I had NO business trying to post :eye:

BTW - I won the race, whether or not you realized it, you were remembering my excellent advice as you DIY'ed the changeout :p

Again, I'm just glad the problem's solved!!

Luv & Luk

Ted

Well, I can understand about that "too much candy" scenario! :wink: I had a large time myself! (Of course, sometimes I don't know that I have no business posting when I come home from Margaritaville Friday...at least you had the where-with-all to know that!)

It's a good thing I'm so handy or I might still be sitting here with no pump hooked up waiting on ONE of you guys! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did go out this morning while it was in the 40's and it just hummed away when I started it, so things look to be good so far! :goodjob: Looks like the flow coming out of the returns seems to be a little stronger as well! I'm just glad it warmed up this weekend and I didn't have to do that in 30 degree weather!

I do have one question though...when I went to replace the shaft seal assembly (2 parts, correct?) it was plain that one of the parts screwed into the impeller but I could not figure out how to get the old one to come out. I just left it. Is that going to cause a problem? I did replace the other part with the spring on it.

Well, until the next catastrophe! :mrgreen:

Karen

Thank you for being so understanding :bowdown:

On the shaft seal, the spring part goes on the impeller with the metal side against the impeller, the other part, the ceramic ring with the rubber around it slides into the 'housing mount' with the rubber towards the motor and the ceramic interfacing with the spring part when the impeller gets screwed back on. It's usually the spring part that fails, so you should be good if you kept the origional ceramic piece :) How I always get the ceramic piece out is to 'whack' it from the back side with a flat head (-) screwdriver. Just be sure to check for leaks where the housing joins the new motor, as long as you have none - everything's fine 8)

Luv & Luk :-D

Ted

Oh Ted....it's not like I'm paying you for your fabuolous assistance or anything...of course I understand! :wink:

TIM & Ted...ROFLMAO!!
36_11_61.gif

It was the hangin' chad (I didn't think I was EVER going to get rid of him!! :lol: :lol: )that got ya Tim!! :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.